Forest game so special for El-Abd

Adam El-Abd supported Nottingham Forest as a boy

Adam El-Abd supported Nottingham Forest as a boy

First published in Albion by , Chief sports reporter

Adam El-Abd will be begging his Albion team-mates for some of their tickets for Saturday’s visit by Nottingham Forest.

The clash at The Amex will be a real family affair for the Seagulls’ centre-half, who supported Forest when he was younger.

El-Abd revealed: “My mother and her family are all from Nottingham. We followed them when I was younger because my dad was always busy on Saturday afternoons and the only time I got to go to live football was when my mum took us to visit the grandparents and to see Forest.

“I had all the kits. I always either wanted an England shirt or a Forest shirt.

“All my mum’s family still live in Nottingham so it is still quite a big fixture for the El-Abd family.

“My dad lives in Spain now but he is flying in on Thursday for Christmas so the first game he will see is Forest.

“He saw me play in Dubai for Egypt but he hasn’t seen me play for Brighton since last Christmas, so it will be nice to have him in the stand.

“I will be badgering the boys for even more tickets than usual. I get a lot of stick from them, because being a local lad and with my missus from Brighton as well I usually take more than my fair share.”

El-Abd, who made his comeback in last Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Charlton, has not played at The Amex since sustaining a slight hamstring tear against Leeds last month.

He said: “Thanks to the medical staff my hamstrings feel a lot stronger now and I am confident it won’t happen again. “Hopefully we can get a win and pick up the points that our performances of late have merited.”

Meanwhile, development squad striker Brennan Dickenson’s loan spell with League Two Chesterfield has been extended until January 5.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:41pm Wed 12 Dec 12

saraman says...

He may be steeped in Forest history with his family etc but you can bet your bottom dollar that he will give his all for The Albion on Saturday. An Albion stalwart through and through.
He may be steeped in Forest history with his family etc but you can bet your bottom dollar that he will give his all for The Albion on Saturday. An Albion stalwart through and through. saraman
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Wed 12 Dec 12

VegasSeagull says...

I like Forest, always have dating back to the Clough/Taylor days and of course we have that connection too.

Have to hope that El-Abd starts the game, I can't see why he wouldn't but you never know.

Forest being just behind us in the table is probably more about the points we have let slip by rather then them improving their performances, that said, I think this will be a great match.






.
I like Forest, always have dating back to the Clough/Taylor days and of course we have that connection too. Have to hope that El-Abd starts the game, I can't see why he wouldn't but you never know. Forest being just behind us in the table is probably more about the points we have let slip by rather then them improving their performances, that said, I think this will be a great match. . VegasSeagull
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Gee Jay says...

Sean O'Driscoll has been building a solid team at the city ground.
They will be a handful, especially having a 'finisher' like Billy Sharpe.
Sean O'Driscoll has been building a solid team at the city ground. They will be a handful, especially having a 'finisher' like Billy Sharpe. Gee Jay
  • Score: 0

6:37pm Wed 12 Dec 12

VegasSeagull says...

Gee Jay wrote:
Sean O'Driscoll has been building a solid team at the city ground. They will be a handful, especially having a 'finisher' like Billy Sharpe.
No arguement from me.
[quote][p][bold]Gee Jay[/bold] wrote: Sean O'Driscoll has been building a solid team at the city ground. They will be a handful, especially having a 'finisher' like Billy Sharpe.[/p][/quote]No arguement from me. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 0

7:07pm Wed 12 Dec 12

dave from bexill says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Gee Jay wrote:
Sean O'Driscoll has been building a solid team at the city ground. They will be a handful, especially having a 'finisher' like Billy Sharpe.
No arguement from me.
Me neither.Looking at Forest's away form they look to be a quite formidable side away from the Trent and a good but tight game looks in prospect. A good game to win (as they all are of course) to see us into the Christmas/ new year period in confident mood.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gee Jay[/bold] wrote: Sean O'Driscoll has been building a solid team at the city ground. They will be a handful, especially having a 'finisher' like Billy Sharpe.[/p][/quote]No arguement from me.[/p][/quote]Me neither.Looking at Forest's away form they look to be a quite formidable side away from the Trent and a good but tight game looks in prospect. A good game to win (as they all are of course) to see us into the Christmas/ new year period in confident mood. dave from bexill
  • Score: 0

8:05pm Wed 12 Dec 12

hannover seagull says...

Wish you all the best with the begging Adam and if all else fails maybe you can buy him one for Xmas
Wish you all the best with the begging Adam and if all else fails maybe you can buy him one for Xmas hannover seagull
  • Score: 0

8:10pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Hovite says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
I like Forest, always have dating back to the Clough/Taylor days and of course we have that connection too.

Have to hope that El-Abd starts the game, I can't see why he wouldn't but you never know.

Forest being just behind us in the table is probably more about the points we have let slip by rather then them improving their performances, that said, I think this will be a great match.






.
Trevor Francis the first £million player.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I like Forest, always have dating back to the Clough/Taylor days and of course we have that connection too. Have to hope that El-Abd starts the game, I can't see why he wouldn't but you never know. Forest being just behind us in the table is probably more about the points we have let slip by rather then them improving their performances, that said, I think this will be a great match. .[/p][/quote]Trevor Francis the first £million player. Hovite
  • Score: 0

8:25pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Alan Duffy says...

Ian Storey-Moore one of the funniest transfers ever!
Ian Storey-Moore one of the funniest transfers ever! Alan Duffy
  • Score: 0

8:28pm Wed 12 Dec 12

IRISHGULL says...

Gee Jay wrote:
Sean O'Driscoll has been building a solid team at the city ground.
They will be a handful, especially having a 'finisher' like Billy Sharpe.
totally agree i have been saying on here that sharpe would have been a great signing since the summer. We went for dobbie, who hasnt really hit the heights yet.. We need somebody alongside macca, to bag fifteen goals from now till the end of the season and we will be in the playoffs.
[quote][p][bold]Gee Jay[/bold] wrote: Sean O'Driscoll has been building a solid team at the city ground. They will be a handful, especially having a 'finisher' like Billy Sharpe.[/p][/quote]totally agree i have been saying on here that sharpe would have been a great signing since the summer. We went for dobbie, who hasnt really hit the heights yet.. We need somebody alongside macca, to bag fifteen goals from now till the end of the season and we will be in the playoffs. IRISHGULL
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Wed 12 Dec 12

SMF20 says...

I'm away from home on a residential course this week and one of the guys on the course told me this morning that it was all over twitter that GP would be sacked soon. I then read on a rumours site something very similar. I'm 99% confident that its all waffle but has anyone heard anything to quash the other 1% of fear I have?
I'm away from home on a residential course this week and one of the guys on the course told me this morning that it was all over twitter that GP would be sacked soon. I then read on a rumours site something very similar. I'm 99% confident that its all waffle but has anyone heard anything to quash the other 1% of fear I have? SMF20
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Hovite says...

Haha, just read it.

I suspect it come straight from our village idiots mouth.

For anyone else it says;

Just heard from my next door neighbours cousins best friend (who works for Brighton FC) that Brighton are losing patience with manager Gus Poyet and that if they lose their next game he will be sacked. Brighton are reportedly interested in speaking to Neil Warnock, who will be backed with several million pounds to spend in the January transfer window.

Definitely likely to happen should Brighton lose heard it here first.
Haha, just read it. I suspect it come straight from our village idiots mouth. For anyone else it says; Just heard from my next door neighbours cousins best friend (who works for Brighton FC) that Brighton are losing patience with manager Gus Poyet and that if they lose their next game he will be sacked. Brighton are reportedly interested in speaking to Neil Warnock, who will be backed with several million pounds to spend in the January transfer window. Definitely likely to happen should Brighton lose heard it here first. Hovite
  • Score: 0

9:09pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Cory and Trevor says...

I've got no time for Forest whatsoever, and hope we tonk em. Clough slated Brighton, saying it's not a football town.

Their current regime poached the manager and Billy Sharpe from Donnie Rovers, and James Coppinger literally had to get off the team bus at M5 motorway services on the way to Yeovil after a deadline day move for him. What a way to have to say goodbye to your teammates. And he rarely makes the starting line-up.

That's Forest.
I've got no time for Forest whatsoever, and hope we tonk em. Clough slated Brighton, saying it's not a football town. Their current regime poached the manager and Billy Sharpe from Donnie Rovers, and James Coppinger literally had to get off the team bus at M5 motorway services on the way to Yeovil after a deadline day move for him. What a way to have to say goodbye to your teammates. And he rarely makes the starting line-up. That's Forest. Cory and Trevor
  • Score: 0

9:46pm Wed 12 Dec 12

VegasSeagull says...

SMF20 wrote:
I'm away from home on a residential course this week and one of the guys on the course told me this morning that it was all over twitter that GP would be sacked soon. I then read on a rumours site something very similar. I'm 99% confident that its all waffle but has anyone heard anything to quash the other 1% of fear I have?
To quell your 1%.

Saved us from relegation.
Got us promoted as champions.
Got us to the top ten in first year of promotion.
We are sitting in 8th place right now.
We are just on the edge of a playoff position.
Has amassed a decent quality squad.

I htink that should do nicely.

.
[quote][p][bold]SMF20[/bold] wrote: I'm away from home on a residential course this week and one of the guys on the course told me this morning that it was all over twitter that GP would be sacked soon. I then read on a rumours site something very similar. I'm 99% confident that its all waffle but has anyone heard anything to quash the other 1% of fear I have?[/p][/quote]To quell your 1%. Saved us from relegation. Got us promoted as champions. Got us to the top ten in first year of promotion. We are sitting in 8th place right now. We are just on the edge of a playoff position. Has amassed a decent quality squad. I htink that should do nicely. . VegasSeagull
  • Score: 0

9:50pm Wed 12 Dec 12

albionbloke says...

Hovite wrote:
Haha, just read it.

I suspect it come straight from our village idiots mouth.

For anyone else it says;

Just heard from my next door neighbours cousins best friend (who works for Brighton FC) that Brighton are losing patience with manager Gus Poyet and that if they lose their next game he will be sacked. Brighton are reportedly interested in speaking to Neil Warnock, who will be backed with several million pounds to spend in the January transfer window.

Definitely likely to happen should Brighton lose heard it here first.
Dead right Hovite...straight from the idiot.

I'll say this though, the day that Warnock is in charge of BHA is the day I hang up my shirt. Got absolutely no time for that no class loser. None.
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: Haha, just read it. I suspect it come straight from our village idiots mouth. For anyone else it says; Just heard from my next door neighbours cousins best friend (who works for Brighton FC) that Brighton are losing patience with manager Gus Poyet and that if they lose their next game he will be sacked. Brighton are reportedly interested in speaking to Neil Warnock, who will be backed with several million pounds to spend in the January transfer window. Definitely likely to happen should Brighton lose heard it here first.[/p][/quote]Dead right Hovite...straight from the idiot. I'll say this though, the day that Warnock is in charge of BHA is the day I hang up my shirt. Got absolutely no time for that no class loser. None. albionbloke
  • Score: 0

9:42am Thu 13 Dec 12

Murray's Mint says...

Cory and Trevor wrote:
I've got no time for Forest whatsoever, and hope we tonk em. Clough slated Brighton, saying it's not a football town.

Their current regime poached the manager and Billy Sharpe from Donnie Rovers, and James Coppinger literally had to get off the team bus at M5 motorway services on the way to Yeovil after a deadline day move for him. What a way to have to say goodbye to your teammates. And he rarely makes the starting line-up.

That's Forest.
Isn't Billy Sharp on loan from Saints, having moved there from Doncaster in the last January transfer window????
[quote][p][bold]Cory and Trevor[/bold] wrote: I've got no time for Forest whatsoever, and hope we tonk em. Clough slated Brighton, saying it's not a football town. Their current regime poached the manager and Billy Sharpe from Donnie Rovers, and James Coppinger literally had to get off the team bus at M5 motorway services on the way to Yeovil after a deadline day move for him. What a way to have to say goodbye to your teammates. And he rarely makes the starting line-up. That's Forest.[/p][/quote]Isn't Billy Sharp on loan from Saints, having moved there from Doncaster in the last January transfer window???? Murray's Mint
  • Score: 0

10:05am Thu 13 Dec 12

Cory and Trevor says...

Yes Murray's Mint, that's right.

I'm still right though; i hate Forest

!
Yes Murray's Mint, that's right. I'm still right though; i hate Forest ! Cory and Trevor
  • Score: 0

10:21am Thu 13 Dec 12

Murray's Mint says...

Cory and Trevor wrote:
Yes Murray's Mint, that's right.

I'm still right though; i hate Forest

!
Fair enough. I have an rabid dislike of Stenhousemuir, but i won't get into that! Can't wait for Saturday. UTA.
[quote][p][bold]Cory and Trevor[/bold] wrote: Yes Murray's Mint, that's right. I'm still right though; i hate Forest ![/p][/quote]Fair enough. I have an rabid dislike of Stenhousemuir, but i won't get into that! Can't wait for Saturday. UTA. Murray's Mint
  • Score: 0

11:37am Thu 13 Dec 12

dave from bexill says...

Cory and Trevor wrote:
I've got no time for Forest whatsoever, and hope we tonk em. Clough slated Brighton, saying it's not a football town.

Their current regime poached the manager and Billy Sharpe from Donnie Rovers, and James Coppinger literally had to get off the team bus at M5 motorway services on the way to Yeovil after a deadline day move for him. What a way to have to say goodbye to your teammates. And he rarely makes the starting line-up.

That's Forest.
Sounds like you've had a bad experience in Nottingham at some time. Would you like to tell us about it Cory and Trevor?
[quote][p][bold]Cory and Trevor[/bold] wrote: I've got no time for Forest whatsoever, and hope we tonk em. Clough slated Brighton, saying it's not a football town. Their current regime poached the manager and Billy Sharpe from Donnie Rovers, and James Coppinger literally had to get off the team bus at M5 motorway services on the way to Yeovil after a deadline day move for him. What a way to have to say goodbye to your teammates. And he rarely makes the starting line-up. That's Forest.[/p][/quote]Sounds like you've had a bad experience in Nottingham at some time. Would you like to tell us about it Cory and Trevor? dave from bexill
  • Score: 0

12:14pm Thu 13 Dec 12

tug509 says...

One good piece of news ahead of Saturday,Simon Cox is almost fit,could travel ,but is unlikely to be risked,according to the Forest fans in the local paper. Those two together pose a real threat. Lets hope we play as well as we did at Charlton,and we wont have to worry too much about their forwards!. UTA
One good piece of news ahead of Saturday,Simon Cox is almost fit,could travel ,but is unlikely to be risked,according to the Forest fans in the local paper. Those two together pose a real threat. Lets hope we play as well as we did at Charlton,and we wont have to worry too much about their forwards!. UTA tug509
  • Score: 0

1:02pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Gibseagull says...

Hovite wrote:
Haha, just read it. I suspect it come straight from our village idiots mouth. For anyone else it says; Just heard from my next door neighbours cousins best friend (who works for Brighton FC) that Brighton are losing patience with manager Gus Poyet and that if they lose their next game he will be sacked. Brighton are reportedly interested in speaking to Neil Warnock, who will be backed with several million pounds to spend in the January transfer window. Definitely likely to happen should Brighton lose heard it here first.
"next door neighbour's cousins best friend" !!!!!! I don't think so. Back to the thread, I think the Forest game will be a good open game, can't see them "parking the bus", so could be a few goals and I'd back us to shade it by the odd goal.
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: Haha, just read it. I suspect it come straight from our village idiots mouth. For anyone else it says; Just heard from my next door neighbours cousins best friend (who works for Brighton FC) that Brighton are losing patience with manager Gus Poyet and that if they lose their next game he will be sacked. Brighton are reportedly interested in speaking to Neil Warnock, who will be backed with several million pounds to spend in the January transfer window. Definitely likely to happen should Brighton lose heard it here first.[/p][/quote]"next door neighbour's cousins best friend" !!!!!! I don't think so. Back to the thread, I think the Forest game will be a good open game, can't see them "parking the bus", so could be a few goals and I'd back us to shade it by the odd goal. Gibseagull
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree