The Seven Dials area started to be developed in the 1820s and is now one of the most popular and trendy parts of the city.

The black and white photograph featured here was taken in 1953 when the traffic island was decorated to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

The area was once known as West Laine and, prior to the 1850s, largely consisted of open farmland.

It is now one of the city’s busiest secondary shopping areas with a good range of independent shops, including a late night chemist, furniture retailers, greengrocers and an excellent choice of pubs, cafes and restaurants.

Being just a few minutes’ walk from Brighton Station and a short bus ride from Hove Station, this area has always been popular with commuters.

The pillar box at the corner of Montpelier Road dates from 1858 and is one of only four of its type still in service.

It has an unusual top and is listed as being of special architectural and historical interest.

The traffic roundabout at The Seven Dials was one of the first to be installed in the country and much of the recent road improvement works involved this busy junction.