Former paratroopers and air cadets formed a guard of honour at the funeral of a respected old soldier.

They stood to attention, saluting, as the coffin of Harry Hunt, draped in the Union flag, arrived at Worthing Crematorium.

The hearse was preceded by ex-servicemen bearing flags draped in black.

Among the hundreds of mourners was Worthing Mayor Tom Wye, a former major in the Royal Engineers.

Mr Hunt, of Goldsmith Road, Broadwater, Worthing, joined the Royal Sussex Regiment in 1943. He later switched to the Parachute Regiment and served all over the world including India, Singapore and Malaya, Java and Palestine.

He was a member of Worthing Parachute Regiment Association, and several dozen of his former colleagues, in their distinctive maroon berets, were at the funeral.

Mr Hunt was a former commanding office of 45F Squadron Air Training Corps, now based in Victoria Road, Worthing.

There was standing room only inside the chapel as Father Edward Jervis, vicar of St Andrew's Church, West Tarrring, Worthing, conducted the service.

Tributes to Mr Hunt, who died at the age of 81, were paid by his son, Dave, a presenter on Worthing radio statio Splash FM, and Coun Wye, who worked closely with Mr Hunt in the town's Combined Ex-Services' Association.

Mourners sang I Vow To Thee My Country before the Last Post was played and standards lowered.

After leaving the Army Mr Hunt continued in his father's footsteps as an upholsterer, and refurbished the seats in the Houses of Parliament, various foreign embassies in London, and Beaulieu, stately home of the Montagu family, in the New Forest.

He also made many of the flags and cushions that adorned Carnarvon Castle for Prince Charles' investiture as the Prince of Wales.

Mr Hunt became a lecturer at the London College of Furniture before taking early retirement in 1984.

In 1948, he married Mildred Moulding, who survives him.

They had three children, Brian, Colin and David, seven grandchildren, and two greatgrandchildren.

In 1950, Mr Hunt joined 45F Squadron ATC, then based at Beach House in Worthing, as a civilian instructor.

He became commanding officer in 1975 and retired from the post in the late Eighties, having been awarded the British Empire Medal.

Much of Mr Hunt's later life was devoted to ex-services' associations including the Royal British Legion, Royal Air Force Association and the Combined Ex-Services' Association.

He also played a major part in organising the annual November remembrance service at the Chapel Road war memorial.

After the funeral family and friends gathered at the RAFA Club in Ashacre Lane, Worthing.