RADIO DJ Neil Fox broke down in tears as he was cleared of sexually and indecently abusing young fans and colleagues.

The chief magistrate told the 54-year-old that while the victims were believable the bench "could not be sure that in the context it was a criminal offence".

Fox had faced a string of indecent assault and sexual assault charges in relation to alleged offences that dated back to the 1980s, against women and girls as young as 14.

He stood trial earlier this month but was yesterday cleared of all charges at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

Reading the verdicts during a four minute hearing, chief magistrate Howard Riddle said:"We heard evidence about ten allegations from six women. We believed each of the complainants.

"The question we must ask is whether we are sure of the facts alleged, sure of the context in which they occurred, and sure that they amount to criminal offences."

He said the most difficult aspect of the case was that the allegations were historic.

He said: "While the events were undoubtedly memorable for the complainants, it is appropriate ... to approach accounts of what happened in a brief period of time, so long ago, with caution."

He added: "It was a strong case and one that needed to be brought to the court for determination.

"The verdict is not guilty on all charges."

The former Capital FM host and ex-Pop Idol judge flatly rejected allegations he had various sexual contacts with fans and colleagues throughout the trial.

His wife, Vicky, sat with her eyes closed before the verdicts were returned yesterday.

She celebrated silently with her husband's supporters in the public gallery following the conclusion of the case.

Mr Fox, who was suspended from Magic FM following his arrest, five minutes after he came off air in September last year, choked back tears and shared an emotional kiss and hug with his wife as he spoke of his relief at his acquittal outside court.

He said: "Firstly may I say that myself, my family and my legal team are obviously pleased and relieved at the decision the court has made.

"Following my arrest over 14 months ago, I strenuously denied all of the allegations and today I have been vindicated.

"It has been a long, hard and stressful 14 months though, and a lot has been said and written about me in that time that over the next few days, weeks and months will need to be addressed and rectified.

"Now this case has also, once again, exposed concerns about how high-profile cases such as this are investigated by the police and the CPS, but this is not the time or the place to address these matters."