WHILE The Body Shop has stayed on the high street for 40 years, others have come and gone.

Farther down North Street in Brighton, the Hanningtons department store was once a renowned fixture for shoppers.

Opened initially in 1808 and expanded in the mid-1800s, it was later dubbed the Harrods of Brighton.

The store was synonymous with quality, elegance and glamour and was the city’s oldest, largest and most diverse department store.

The shop was set up by the family of Charles Smith Hannington, of Hurstpierpoint, whose son James Hannington was the first Anglican bishop of East Africa. The Bishop Hannington Memorial Church in West Blatchington was built in 1938 to commemorate him.

Hanningtons employed more than 200 staff across 70 different departments.

A fire tore through Hanningtons in 1929 but it was restored. The shop was hit by fire again in 1986.

After this, the vast store found itself stuck in a time warp and despite revamps was competing with out-of-town rivals and free parking.

It eventually sold for more than £20 million after closing in 2001.

Not far from Hanningtons is the site of Dockerills, a family-run hardware store that has been part of Brighton's fabric for more than 100 years.

The business was established by Walter Dockerill, carried on by his son Walter Harry Dockerill, and is now owned by his son Malcolm Dockerill who, with his wife and children, are continuing the family tradition.

While the shop in Church Street looks like it has been there since the beginning, it has in fact moved locations in the road over the years. Our undated picture shows it farther up the hill on the other side of the road before the right-turn into Tichbourne Street.

Not all shop buildings have stood the test of time; the Co-op department store in London Road, Brighton, was similar to Hanningtons in selling most things.

It was united into a single shop in 1919 and opened as an expansive art deco department store in 1931.

After falling victim to high street trends, it closed in the early 2000s and announced as the site of new student flats in 2013.

Now finished, the current development retains the imposing columns on its facade, hinting at its former glory.