Shannon Aspin death: CCTV images released of Blackburn teen hours before she suffered fractured skull

By Aban Quaynor

Shannon Aspin death: CCTV images released of Blackburn teen hours before she suffered fractured skull

Get the Morning Briefing newsletter

CCTV images capturing a Blackburn teenager hours before she suffered a fractured skull have been issued by detectives investigating her death.

Shannon Aspin, 17, died at the Royal Preston Hospital last Tuesday, four days after being found in a house in Blackburn with the serious head injury.


A post mortem examination looking into the cause of the popular teen’s death was carried out last week, but police have declined to release the results as they continue to investigate how Shannon came about her injuries.

The CCTV footage from Thursday, July 28, shows Shannon walking from an address in Rutland Close, Clayton-le-Moors on to Whalley Road towards the junction with Burnley Road and then back down past Sparth House and Wilsons playing fields.

Detectives, who have witnessed a fresh witness appeal, said she then continued towards Knightingales Garage in Great Harwood.

Officers said Shannon was seen arguing with a man, who was wearing a high visibility top, at various points throughout her journey.

Later on the same night at 8.20pm she was found in a house in St Gabriel’s Avenue, Blackburn with a fractured skull.

Detective Inspector Julie Cross said: “Our investigation into Shannon’s death remains ongoing and we have released these new images of her on the night she sustained her injury in an attempt to establish exactly what happened.

“If anyone has any information at all which could help us ascertain exactly how this young girl sustained a fatal injury, I would urge them to come forward.

“If you saw Shannon at any point on the night she was admitted to hospital then please do get in touch with us as soon as possible.

“Even the smallest piece of information you might have could greatly assist with our enquiries.”

An inquest was due to open on Tuesday but that has been adjourned to a later date.

A 21-year-old man from Blackburn who was arrested on suspicion of assault and has been released on bail pending further enquiries until October 21.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101, quoting log 1351 of 28th July.