The heartbroken boyfriend of a 'kind and caring' teenager whose 'suspicious' death is being treated as murder today told how he gave her a kiss and a cuddle as he left for work just hours before her body was found.

Detectives have already arrested a 27-year-old man in connection with the death of Shana Grice, 19, who was found in her home after failing to turn up for work.

This morning police added that they had referred the case to the police watchdog due to officers' previous contact with Miss Grice.  

And today her devastated boyfriend Ash Cooke, 21, was coming to terms with his loss by getting a 'Shana' tattoo in her memory.

The couple, who have been together for three-and-a-half years, were planning on starting a family next year and went on holiday to Mexico with friends earlier this year.

The self-employed kitchen fitter last saw her yesterday morning at about 7am as he said goodbye to her at the front door of her home in Brighton.

They made plans to have dinner together on the Friday evening, before attending Ash's uncle's wedding together on Saturday.

However, less than three hours later, police were called to the address over concerns for the welfare of Shana, after she had not arrived at work in the morning.

They discovered her body alone in the house and while the cause of death is yet to be established, detectives are treating it as suspicious.

Ash told how he has answered questions from officers, who have taken his mobile, and is today asking why anyone would want to kill her.

He said: "I don't have my mobile at the moment - the police have got it - and obviously I don't want to say too much about their investigation.

"Shana was the nicest person you could ever wish to meet.

"We have been together just over three-and-a-half years and we had plans. We had my uncle's wedding on Saturday and dinner tonight.

"We were planning to have children together next year and we were all ready to settle down, but now all that's not going to happen.

"She was supposed to finish work today and I was going to be meeting her then to go out for dinner.

"I was with her yesterday morning, that's when I last saw her because I stayed with her Wednesday night.

"I start work early and I have to leave hers at 7am in the morning to get ready.

"She was awake and came to the door, we had a kiss and a cuddle and said goodbye, and then she locked the door after I left.

"I was working in Saltdean and as soon as I knew something wasn't right I knew I had to try and find her.

"I jumped in my van and rushed back to hers as fast as I could."

Tragically, upon his arrival he learnt of his girlfriend's fate.

He added: "She was a really kind girl, and she cared about everyone. I don't know why anyone would do this to her because she wasn't a nasty person and looked after everyone.

"Everyone loves her, as you can see from the tributes on social media.

"I'm getting a big Shana tattoo, it's quite a big arm piece as a tribute to her."

Ash continues to assist the police in their investigation, and will return to the force's Lewes base to sign the statement he made to officers yesterday.

He added: "I think they are coming to get me later because I have got to go in and sign a statement.

"They had their suspect in Brighton, and they didn't want me there near him, so I went to Lewes to give my statement and now have to go back and sign it."

He explained that Shana worked for delivery wholesaler Palmer and Harvey.

A Sussex Police spokesman said: "A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of a woman at an address in Mile Oak.

"Just before 9.45am on Thursday (25 August) police were called to the address in Chrisdory Road, Mile Oak, over concerns for the welfare of a 19-year woman living there who had not arrived at work in the morning.

"The body of a woman, believed to be the resident, was found inside the house. Formal identification has not yet taken place.

"Nobody else was in the house at the time.

"The cause of death has not yet been established but it is being treated as suspicious and detectives from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team led by Detective Chief Inspector Paul Rymarz, are investigating.

"A 27-year old Portslade man was arrested on Thursday afternoon at an address in Burgess Hill on suspicion of murder and is currently in custody for interview and further enquiries."

Superintendent James Collis added: "Our thoughts are with the deceased and with her family and friends, who are receiving our support at this time."

Friends of Shana also took to Facebook to pay tribute to their friend.

Geo Pettman wrote: "Ever such a distressing reminder that the world is never as it seems, life is such a precious thing Shana Grice will forever be in everyone's heart."

Sinead Smythe said: "Heaven has gained such a beautiful angel. I cannot believe what has happened. You were such a great soul!

"My thoughts are with everyone who knew her dearly. Forever in all our hearts. Rest in peace Shana Grice you will never be forgotten."

Hassan Zerrouk, of Brighton, added: "You will be 100 per cent missed Shana Grice !

"Will always remember those stories you told me About your trip to Mexico with Joann, Ash, Scott and the family, those moments will NEVER be forgotten!"