A FATHER has lambasted a school uniform policy which could see his son excluded for wearing shorts during the hottest summer in years.

Simon Muller was appalled when his son Liam, a year seven student at Brighton Aldridge Community Academy (BACA), told him pupils would be put in isolation if they did not wear trousers and a shirt.

Last month temperatures reached up to 30 degrees Celsius in Sussex, so Mr Muller felt the need to question his son’s school.

Mr Muller, 34, said: “I get a list of items of clothing that I have to pay for out of my own money each year, and there are school P.E shorts included in it.

“If it is part of the uniform, why can’t he wear it to keep himself cool? I could understand if they had a Nike tick on or something, but they don’t.

“I don’t want to wake up to the news one morning that a child has died because of overheating due to a stupid uniform policy.”

Mr Muller, of Southall Avenue in Moulsecoomb, claimed that two children at the school passed out due to the heat of a classroom that didn’t have windows or air conditioning.

It has led to some boys at BACA wearing skirts to cool themselves down.

Mr Muller says he has contacted Ofsted, who have recorded his report.

His eldest son Caine is in year 11 at the school, and he has encountered problems similar to Liam.

Mr Muller says that Caine was made to wear his blazer last year at the peak of summer, and it has been a regular issue throughout his time at the school.

His daughter Grace is due to start in September, but this incident has given him reservations.

“What’s happened makes me feel like I don’t want to send her to BACA,” he said.

A spokeswoman for BACA said: “BACA takes pride in our uniform and its reflection of a professional and ‘business like’ environment. However, due to the current hot weather temporary changes to the dress code have been put into effect allowing students and staff to remove blazers and ties.

“Health and safety of students is a primary concern, especially during hot spells like this, and all staff are helping students cope with the heat while maintaining a stable learning environment.”

The school was unable to comment on Mr Muller’s claims of two pupils passing out.