A WOMAN was stabbed to death in her own home in a quiet street.

The 46-year-old was found with multiple stab wounds in her home in Sandgate Road in the Fiveways area of Brighton at 6.30am yesterday.

A 51-year-old man, from Seaford, tried to hand himself in at John Street police station shortly after 6am, but the front desk was closed.

Instead he had to wait and call officers before he directed them to the address in Sandgate Road where the woman was found.

He was then arrested on suspicion of murder. As The Argus went to press he remained in custody.

A major police operation was launched yesterday morning with dozens of police cars and officers closing off the quiet road.

Scenes of crime officers spent most of the day at the property, removing numerous items of potential evidence.

Officers were also seen searching nearby bins for the knife used in the attack.

Superintendent Ed De La Rue said he was aware residents may be concerned that the man was unable to immediately see an officer at the John Street police station when he tried to hand himself in.

He said: “It is not 24 hour opening. Although the public office may be closed it is a 24/7 police station and officers got to the man very quickly.

“Even though it is a city, Brighton is a safe place.”

Speaking at the scene yesterday evening he said the man and woman were known to each other but were not relatives.

He said officers were not looking for anyone else in connection with the suspected murder.

Several neighbours said they had heard arguing in the usually street on Wednesday night.

Police also cordoned off a second crime scene outside the Job Centre in Edwards Street, Brighton, just around the corner from the John Street police station.

It is believed that is where the man was arrested after being unable to speak to anyone at the city’s main police station which only opens to the public at 8am.

Police would not confirm the severity of the woman’s injuries for much of the day yesterday, before finally confirming her death and that they were investigating a murder eight hours after first being asked by The Argus.

Residents were left not knowing if they were in danger and when they would be able to access their properties.

Detective Chief Inspector Till Sanderson, from the Surrey and Sussex major crime team, who is leading the investigation, said: “A 51-year-old man from Seaford has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

“We would like to hear from anyone who saw or heard anything suspicious in or around Sandgate Road between 6pm on Wednesday and 6am on Thursday.

“It appears that both suspect and victim were known to each other and we are not currently seeking anyone else in connection with the incident.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact police online or call 101 quoting Operation Navan.

Alternatively, visit the Crimestoppers website or contact the independent charity anonymously on 0800 555 111.