A FATHER was electrocuted while trying to fix a laptop.

Aron Duplock was working on the device with his stepbrother when the electric shock knocked him back and killed him.

The 25-year-old father-of-two, who is from Brighton, was at stepbrother Paul Brown’s flat in Downland Drive, Hangleton, when the accident happened, his inquest heard yesterday.

Fixing computers was a hobby the two shared, Brighton Coroner’s Court was told.

They believed there was a problem with the fan in the computer and had to remove what is called the heat sink, which helps to cool parts of the machine when it gets hot.

However, the power was turned on while Mr Duplock was working on the computer and a shock of around 400 volts went through his body and killed him.

Amanda Cutler, Mr Brown’s girlfriend, was also in the flat.

Giving evidence at the inquest Mr Brown and Miss Cutler said they thought Mr Duplock was “mucking around” and pretending he had been electrocuted.

As the current went through his body, he called out to Mr Brown “I can’t let go [of the computer].”

The inquest heard that strengthening of ones grip is common when being electrocuted.

It was at that point they realised the power was turned on, Miss Cutler said in court.

However, Miss Cutler and Mr Brown then decided to go out for a cigarette.

She confessed at the inquest that she had panicked when she saw what was happening.

She said that was why she went outside for a cigarette before calling for an ambulance.

She burst into tears while giving evidence.

Rachel Lavender, the paramedic who attended the incident, had raised concerns over a possible delay in calling an ambulance after seeing Mr Duplock’s condition.

Paramedics tried to revive him for an hour but his heart was not beating for the entire time they were there.

Ms Lavender said they worked on him for so long, partly because of his age.

Questions were raised at the inquest as to the consequences of a delay in calling the ambulance.

However, the coroner found it would have been almost impossible to revive him.

The inquest heard no criminal charges are being pursued by Sussex Police.

Mr Duplock’s father, Perry, told the court that his son was “always playing practical jokes” and once, when he was younger, pretended to get an electric shock while playing with a plug socket.

After the accident, the computer was investigated by forensics. Fingerprints were found on the heat sink.

A post-mortem revealed three wounds on Mr Duplock’s left hand – with which he was holding the heat sink.

Mr Duplock joined the Army aged 17, attending the training centre in Dyke Road, Brighton, but injured himself during the initial six-week course and was dismissed.

His children are aged two and four as of June. He also leaves behind Riana Gretton, his fiancee.

Assistant coroner Catharine Palmer told the inquest Mr Duplock’s death was caused by electrocution by being in contact with the heat sink element.

She said there was “only one place” an electric shock could have been received - the cover of the heat sink.

She concluded that his death was an accident and added: “He is a son to be proud of.”

"He will be sadly missed"

ARON Duplock’s mother Viv Slark was hosting a barbecue when she heard the news of her son’s death.
She told The Argus in June that her “world fell apart” when he died. “I wouldn’t want anyone to feel this pain,” she said. “My heart goes out to anyone who has lost their child, the pain is absolutely horrendous.”
At Brighton Coroner’s Court yesterday, Ms Slark paid tribute to her late son. She said: “He was fun-loving, caring, and he is going to be sadly missed by friends and family.”
Mr Duplock worked as a security guard at train stations around Sussex, and went to King’s Manor School (now Shoreham Academy) as a boy.