REFUGEE brothers chased a man, dragged him to the floor and pummelled him after a nightclub row.

Mohammad Haj Hussein and Ibrahim Hij Hussein were enjoying a night out at Vodka Revolution in West Street, Brighton, in July last year.

But the Syrian brothers got into an “altercation” inside the venue with Ghamari Ghalati, and instead of going home, they lingered outside before launching a “vicious” attack.

The two refugees appeared in court where they admitted feeling “ashamed” about their drinking, as it goes against their Islamic faith.

Mohammad, 25, fled from Syria in 2012 and endured a 27-hour boat crossing from Libya to the Italian island of Lampedusa. He also lived in a camp in Dunkirk before being reunited with his brother Ibrahim four years ago.

Meanwhile Ibrahim, 37, has lived in the UK since 2009 and is currently studying a PhD, and has the prospect of becoming a medical sales manager in the Middle East.

Appearing at Lewes Crown Court, they were given suspended prison sentences and ordered to complete 100 hours of community service each.

Christopher Prior, prosecuting, said the brothers at first faced trial for attempting to cause grievous bodily harm, but a jury couldn’t decide if they were guilty, as Mr Ghalati did not support the prosecution so no medical files were produced.

Instead the Husseins, of East Street in Brighton, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Sarah Thorne, defending Mohammad, said he had fled Syria via Jordan and Egypt, and endured the gruelling boat crossing to Italy via Libya.

She said the family’s parents have reached Sweden with other siblings, but some family members remained trapped in Syria, but Mohammad fears for his future as he does not have indefinite leave to remain.

Josie Sonessa, defending Ibrahim, said he fears he has jeopardised his entire future and is “extremely ashamed”. He has a job offer at a leading medical company, and speaks several languages.

Judge Charles Kemp said it was a “serious” offence and condemned them for their “gratuitous violence” on the streets in the early hours.

He said: “There were many people present at this incident. I’m told you normally don’t drink alcohol, but on this occasion you did, and you are probably not accustomed to it.

“There was some sort of altercation in the bar. What should have happened is that you should have left and gone home.

“You remained in the area, and when you saw Ghamari Ghalati coming out, you chased him, restrained him and put him to the ground, then repeatedly punched and kicked him.

“It was a thoroughly vicious and unpleasant assault.”

The judge accepted that both had escaped difficult circumstances in Syria, and imposed a 20-month prison sentence, suspended for two years.

He ordered them to do 100 hours of unpaid community work, and ordered Muhammad to attend a minimum of ten anger management sessions within the next year.