SOLAR panels caught fire at a residential house on Wednesday.

Six fire engines were called to the property in Shooting Field, Steyning, at 4.22pm, and firefighters fought the flames until almost 10pm.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was “accidental ignition”, and no one was in the house at the time.

There were no injuries to report.

The solar panels were the only part of the house that was damaged.

A fire service spokeswoman said specialist appliances were used.

She said: “We were called at 4.22pm to Shooting Field in Steyning.

“The last crew left the scene at 9.48pm on Wednesday night.

“The cause of the fire was an accidental ignition.

“There were no reports of any injuries.”