A BANNED motorcyclist led police on a terrifying high-speed chase through residential streets.

Ian Dyke was clocked at 103mph by police on the A23 London Road in Brighton, but instead of stopping when the patrol car put on its siren, he sped off.

The 48-year-old left the A27 at the Devil’s Dyke junction, and raced through red lights and junctions in Hove.

At Lewes Crown Court he admitted dangerous driving and said he had been “tempted” to ride his “pride and joy” after his mother had gone out, because he “wanted to put it through its paces”.

But he had no licence after being banned in 2006 and no insurance. He was jailed for a total of 12 months after admitting the offences.

Robin Miric, prosecuting, said the chase started on September 12 at 4pm as Dyke went through Hangleton, into West Way, Blatchington Road, and Western Road in Hove at up to 80mph. Only when he hit a dead end did he stop.

The next day, despite having his Honda MC30 seized he decided to ride a second motorbike, but parked on zig-zag lines near a pedestrian crossing. He was spotted by police community support officers, and admitted once again riding without insurance and without a licence.

Dyke, of Perryfields in Burgess Hill, has 15 previous convictions, including the driving bans in 2006. He never took an extended test to allow him to go on the roads.

David Parvin, defending, said he used the refurbishment of the motorcycle as his proud hobby. He said: “He has made a terrible mistake, and knows in hindsight he was utterly stupid.”

He asked the judge to suspend any prison sentence, as Dyke has depression and attention deficit disorder.

But Judge Charles Kemp said the roads included busy built-up residential areas, and shopping areas.

He said: “Mercifully nobody was injured when they could so easily have been. These are dreadful offences.”

For dangerous driving Dyke was jailed for eight months, while for two charges of driving while banned he was jailed for four months in total. His ban has been extended for another five years.