A MOTHER whose toddler caught E.coli while at a Turkish resort has spoken out about the ordeal.

Sophie Hogg, 29, from Brighton, was on holiday with her partner Nicholas Lockwood, 32, and their two daughters Mia, five, and Olivia, aged 18 months, at Holiday Village Turkey in Sarigerme in July.

The holiday, booked through Tui UK, was ruined when Olivia developed severe diarrhoea that lasted for more than a week.

When they returned to the UK with the symptoms persisting, Sophie took Olivia to their family GP and tests confirmed that she had developed E.coli.

The gastric illness can cause lasting damage, especially for children and the elderly.

The problems began when Sophie started to develop stomach cramps and diarrhoea two days into the holiday.

About 48 hours later, Olivia then started to suffer similar symptoms.

Sophie said: “We were all just so worried about Olivia. It was awful to see how the illness affected her – no parent should have to see their child in such a state.

“We hoped everything would subside by the time we got home but the symptoms just went nowhere – that’s when we knew we had to go to see our GP. While my tests came back negative, we were told Olivia had E.coli.

“While initially we were completely focused on ensuring she got better, now we are simply angry.

“To see our daughter suffer like that was horrendous and we just want some answers regarding what we have been through.

“Nothing will change what has happened, but we hope that taking this action will ensure no other child goes through what Olivia has.”

The family have now instructed law firm Irwin Mitchell to investigate.

The law firm specialises in securing justice for holidaymakers who have suffered injury or illness abroad.

They say they have successfully represented holidaymakers affected by issues at the site in 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2014. Their lawyers secured £1.7 million for some 600 people who suffered serious illness including E.coli, salmonella and campylobacter at the resort in 2009.

Amandeep Dhillon, a partner at the law firm, said: “We are hugely concerned.

“This case is yet another instance where we have been contacted regarding the Holiday Village Turkey which is very worrying.

“This resort’s name has emerged too many times down the years and it is absolutely vital that steps are taken to learn lessons from cases like this when holidaymakers have been affected by serious illness.”

A Tui spokesman said: “We’re very sorry to hear of Olivia and her family’s experience. As we understand this is now a legal matter it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.

“We’d like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all of the hotels we feature in respect of health and safety, including hygiene.”