A THUG squeezed the throat of a manager after a row over alcohol at a KFC.

Jamie Kendrick was told alcohol was not allowed inside the London Road restaurant in Brighton last month.

But rather than take his alcohol outside, he shouted and asked manager Nicolae Postolache outside to fight.

As Mr Postolache went to the staff office to call the police, Kendrick followed him behind the counter and grabbed him by the throat.

He squeezed, leaving the manager traumatised. Another customer managed to pull Kendrick away and he was arrested by police further down the road, later telling police he had downed two bottles of Jack Daniels.

At Brighton Magistrates’ Court 28-year-old Kendrick admitted the assault and was ordered to complete 80 hours of unpaid work and pay £100 in compensation to Mr Postolache.

Suzanne Soros, prosecuting said the incident happened on January 19 at 6.20pm. She said: “The manager had gone outside for a cigarette break, and when he was outside he saw Kendrick with the alcohol, which is not permitted in the restaurant.

“The defendant kept shouting at him and asked him outside for a fight. He went inside to try to call the police, but Kendrick followed him behind the counter into the staff office.”

In his victim statement Mr Postolache said: “I was very frightened, he squeezed my throat and neck, holding me down.

“I have been left very shaken by what happened. I was at work and did nothing to deserve this. Now I don’t feel safe at work.”

Ms Soros said Kendrick has committed nine previous offences, including a robbery and assault, and assaulting a police officer in 2018.

He was put under a community order in November to complete 20 rehabilitation sessions, but has so far complete none of the sessions and has missed three appointments with probation.

In court, representing himself, he said: “I was pretty drunk when it happened. I don’t have much memory. I know what I did was wrong.” He said he apologised for his behaviour.

Magistrate John Stambridge said: “This was not your finest hour. We have heard from the victim just how traumatised and frightened he was.

“This was all done while he was working, serving the public.”

Kendrick, of John Street in Croydon, was ordered to carry out the 20 rehabilitation sessions he was previously sentenced to last year, along with 80 hours on unpaid work. He must also pay £100 in compensation, £85 court costs, and £85 victim surcharge.