THE friends of a murder victim have left heartfelt tributes in the street where he was found dead.

Abdul Deghayes suffered multiple stab wounds and was found by police and ambulance crews in the passenger seat of a silver Volkswagen in Elm Grove in Brighton on Saturday.

The 22-year-old later died of his injuries at the Royal Sussex County Hospital the next morning and police launched a murder inquiry.

Elm Grove and surrounding streets were sealed off as officers carried out searches and door-to-door enquiries.

Yesterday Mr Deghayes’ friends gathered in the street and laid flowers at the scene where he died.

One tribute read: “Love you so much mate, you’ll be in heaven, looking at me doing you proud. Until we meet again, you are forever in my heart.”

Meanwhile another card wrote to him said: “My brother, so many memories, I love you, you taught me so much, I promise I’ll do what you would do for me.”

At the scene, a resident said: “He was a beautiful man. People are out here to respect him.

“They loved him and have been out here for the friend they have lost.”

Another tribute read: “Rest in peace my brother, you are going to be missed by so many people, sleep tight.”

Police cordoned off the area for all of Sunday, with residents having to be escorted from their homes.

Worshippers at nearby St Joseph’s Catholic Church said a 9.30am Sunday service was held, but the services at 11.30am and 5.30pm had to be cancelled.

Yesterday one church member said: “We were escorted in and out of the church, it has never happened before so these were extraordinary circumstances.

“We are shocked, but trying not to be alarmist. We are praying for the victim and his family.”

She said police forensics experts emptied bins into the streets under floodlights to look for clues.

Meanwhile other residents saw the forensic experts in their street. One man said: “The police came round to ask what we had seen.

“The forensics people turned up, and that brings it home. You don’t want this on your doorstep.”

Police investigating the murder of Abdul Deghayes in Brighton on Saturday evening (February 16) have arrested a second man in connection with the offence.

A 54-year-old man from Brighton was arrested in the city on Monday afternoon on suspicion of murder. He remained in custody on Monday evening (February 18).

Chief Inspector Andy Bennett from the Sussex Police, said: "We are continuing to seek a number of people who we would like to speak to in connection with Abdul's murder and I would appeal to anyone with information who has not yet spoken to us to get in touch.

"You can report online or call 101 quoting Operation Login or you can report via the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

A 26-year-old man from Brighton, who was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of murder, has been released without charge.