A YOUNG man died after taking too much ecstasy, an inquest heard.

Ben Knight, 20, was a roofer and lived in Roman Way, Billingshurst.

He spent an evening at home with a friend taking MDMA, otherwise known as ecstasy.

He started having a fit and an ambulance was called.

But paramedics were unable to save him.

He died in East Surrey Hospital on July 4 last year.

The inquest, held at Centenary House in Crawley on Monday, heard Mr Knight had distanced himself from his family, and his father had challenged him about drug use.

They did not know he had been drugs other than smoking cannabis.

A friend who was with Mr Knight on the night he died confirmed they had been taking MDMA, a class-A drug.

A toxicology report showed also confirmed the presence of the drug in his system.

And a post-mortem examination revealed there were “serious quantities” of the substance in Mr Knight’s blood.

Assistant coroner for West Sussex, Joanne Andrews, said: “The evidence shows that Ben did not take his own life.”

She concluded that his death had been drug-related, and accidental.