TWO pensioners were treated for smoke inhalation after a blaze broke out in a Peacehaven house.

Two ambulances were been called to the Central Avenue home to treat a couple in their 70s after a fire broke out about 6am this morning.

The fire service, who left the scene about 11am this morning, have described the incident as a "severe fire".

The Argus:

Pictures show firefighters dousing the smouldering wreckage of the detached house. 

A spokeswoman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue said four breathing apparatus, an areal ladder platform and two jets were called to deal with the incident.

The Argus:

She added that a Red Cross Support unit was also attending.

The fire service dampened down the scene and isolated the gas and electric.

The Argus: