A RACIST shouted drunken, foul-mouthed abuse at other passengers on a train.

Anthony Evans was slurring his words on board the Southern service at Lewes.

The ex-squaddie racially abused two black men on board the train, using the “vilest and most humiliating language”.

He spouted: “I will kill the w*** like I did in the Falklands.”

Then 53-year-old Evans pushed another passenger and grabbed them by the cheeks.

But he was punched to the floor, and passengers and staff stopped him from getting back on board.

Police took Evans to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, and found a knife in his pocket.

At Brighton Magistrates’ Court he admitted possessing the knife, and racially aggravated harassment.

District judge Tessa Szagun jailed him for a total of eight months and said the former army serviceman has 30 previous convictions, including possessing a knife in public.

Martina Sherlock, prosecuting, said Evans had boarded the train from London Victoria to Eastbourne in January last year.

She said he was seen shouting loudly and slurring his words to the conductor on board.

One witness said they could smell the alcohol on Evans’s breath.

Ms Sherlock said: “Witnesses were concerned about his behaviour. He was shouting and being aggressive. It was loud enough for the whole carriage to hear.

“He shouted racist abuse about n****** and w*** and was facing two black gentlemen in the carriage.

“He repeated the words at least ten times, witnesses were shocked by the language. He said ‘I will kill the w*** like I did in the Falklands’.

“To another man he said ‘what are you going to f****** do about it?’.”

He was taken to hospital after a man he had pushed and grabbed by the cheeks punched him in self defence.

Robert Gregory, defending, said Evans suffers from mental health problems and post-traumatic stress.

Evans served in the Army in Northern Ireland in 1982 and 1984 during the height of the Troubles.

Mr Gregory said his client was depressed and had intended to go to Beachy Head before the clash on the train.

Judge Szagun said the offences were so serious because of Evans’s previous convictions for racially aggravated attacks, assaulting a PC, and possession of a knife in public in 2003, 2008, and 2017.

She said: “What happened on the train was a sustained incident, aggravated by your drunkenness, coupled with the vilest and most humiliating language, used to cause maximum distress.”

Evans, of no fixed address, was jailed for six months for possessing the knife and two months for racist harassment.