RESIDENTS are being warned to keep their doors and windows covered after a suspected chlorine gas leak at a swimming pool.

Fire services attended the scene at Motcombe Swimming Pool in Eastbourne, where two people are currently being treated.

A South East Coast Ambulance Service spokesman said both patients experienced itchy eyes and throats and will likely need to go to hospital.

At about 9am today an East Sussex Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “If you live in Eastbourne avoid the area around Motcombe swimming pool as we have a number of appliances attending a leak of chlorine gas and the roads in the area are blocked.

“The situation is under control but local residents should keep doors and windows cloaked as a precaution.”

One Twitter user posted about the incident and said that roads surrounding the swimming pool are being closed off.

A resident said: "It’s not every day that you wake up to this outside your front door in Eastbourne.

"I have heard that fire crews are about to ‘fume’ Motcombe Pool where there has been a suspected chlorine gas leak.

"It will involve blowing lots of air through the building.

"There are a number of roads closed, half a dozen fire engines and numerous police and ambulances on standby."

At 12.01pm an ESFRS spokesman provided an update.

He said: "We are still dealing with the incident at Motcombe swimming pool in Eastbourne.

"We are currently ventilating the area.

"The situation is under control but we are still advising that local residents should keep doors and windows closed as a precautionary measure."

At 12.39pm he added: "The incident at Motcombe swimming pool,Eastbourne has now been resolved.

"Thank you to residents and Sussex Police for their support and assistance.

"We are currently clearing up the scene and will be leaving shortly.

"Cordons are still in place whilst clearing up takes place."

The swimming pool is operated by charity group Wave Leisure Trust.

Chief executive Duncan Kerr said: “Today’s isolated incident of a small leak of sodium hypochlorite in the plant room at Motcombe swimming pool has now been resolved. 

"The plant room has a secure bonded area which effectively stopped the leak from spreading.

"The safety of our staff and customers is our number one priority. 

"The two members of staff who discovered the leak were seen by medical staff and have been given a clean bill of health.

"We are working hard to re-open the pool as soon as possible and we will update the Wave Leisure website and social media channels when it is re-opened.

"We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.”