A MOTHER has paid tributes to her son after he took his own life in a “psychotic episode”.

Toby Cruse, 33, of West Street, Brighton, was found dead in his home after he cut his wrists.

His mother, Josephine Green, who found him, said: “He always wore this smile across his face.

“He was a popular man, very generous hearted.”

His friend Ash Jackson said: “He was a bloody good bloke, that’s what I have to say about him.

“Just one of most generous people, and one of the kindest people I have ever met.

“He was a very popular young man and he loved his cars. He cared about other people staying safe.”

The father of one was suffering from depression at the time of his death.

A postmortem showed Mr Cruse had almost four times the drink driving amount in his blood when he died.

An inquest into his death, held in Brighton, heard he was “in floods of tears” when Ms Green last spoke to him on the phone on February 24, the night before his death. About an hour and a half after their conversation Mr Cruse reported a burglary at his home.

Police attended his flat, described as “incredibly secure” with six locks and CCTV cameras, but confirmed there was no sign of a burglary.

But Mr Cruse was convinced and Detective Sergeant Elizabeth Starr told the court it was likely he may have been in a delusional state due to the excessive amount of alcohol he had consumed.

Statements read out at the inquest from police who attended his address that night said there were traces of drugs in the flat and empty bottles of alcohol.

Martin Sapwell from the professional standards department – in charge of investigating deaths where the deceased has recently been in contact with police – told the inquest the police visiting that night described Mr Cruse as “paranoid” and “clearly under the influence”.

He said the police advised him to stay with a friend or a family member, but Mr Cruse declined.

They left him in a “calm manner” and ensured he had access to mental health advice lines.

Ms Green decided to visit her son the next day as she was extremely concerned for Mr Cruse, who had not responded to her messages.

She found him dead in his bedroom with wounds to his wrists.

Paramedics were called immediately but the inquest heard he had been dead for several hours.

The toxicology report showed he had traces of cocaine which Brighton and Hove coroner Veronica

Hamilton-Deeley said may have contributed to his delusional state.

She said Mr Cruse died as a result of severe blood loss due to injuries to both his wrists on February 25.

Drugs and alcohol were contributing factors.

Ms Hamilton-Deeley said: “I am satisfied he carried out a deliberate act and I find it hard to believe that he didn’t intend to do this.”

She concluded his death was suicide.