A WOMAN has been taken to hospital after a building caught fire.

Flames ripped through a residential flat in Kings Barn End, Steyning, this morning at about 12.15am.

Fire crews from Steyning, Henfield and Shoreham worked together to rescue the woman and tackle the blaze.

Due to the extent of the fire, residents in the area were advised to keep their windows and doors shut to protect them from the smoke.

A West Sussex Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “We were called after a fire alarm went off at 12.15am.

“A fire engine from Steyning attended.

“While on route another call came in confirming there was a person inside, so more fire engines from Shoreham and Henfield were sent to help.

“When Steyning crews arrived they confirmed the building was well alight and requested further appliances.

“They rescued one occupant who was treated with a breathing apparatus.

“Crews left at about 3am and the person has been taken to hospital.”