FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze in a kebab shop last night. 

Crews were called to Damasco Grill in Portland Road, Hove, at 10.40pm to reports of an electrical fire. 

Fire service teams from Hove and Brighton used 1in7 foam, two breathing apparatus and four CO 2 extinguishers to tackle the flames.

Residents gathered in the street  – some in their dressing gowns – to watch crews enter the building. 

One described the fire as "like fireworks". 

UK Power was requested to the scene to shut down electrics.