A YOUNG woman with poor mental health did not intend to take her own life, a coroner ruled.

Molly Joy O’Brien, 25, was found dead at her home in Hova Villas, Hove, on Sunday, July 21.

It had been suspected that Molly, who died in her bedroom surrounded by empty packets of prescription drugs, had taken her own life following a period of depression.

However at the inquest into her death at Brighton Coroner’s Court on Friday, the coroner recorded a conclusion of misadventure.

Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley said Molly did not intend to take her own life, but taking powerful sedative drugs in a way not prescribed was risky and had led to her death.

Molly worked as a ward sister at Mill View Hospital for mental health patients in Nevill Avenue, Hove, but was also accessing mental health services there herself.

A member of staff at Mill View had reported concern for her welfare to police after Molly did not turn up for work on Sunday, July 21, and was not answering her phone.

Coroner Hamilton-Deeley said: “I know that she was a loved and cherished colleague.

“She loved her work, and it is hard, trying work.

“She was working long hours, and probably came back to work too early following a period of depression.

“It seems she was using work to mask her own mental health problems.

“At a time when she should have been managed, she was managing others.”

The coroner told the court Molly had been able to unburden herself to her lead mental health practitioner, but she had experienced shame around her thoughts and feelings.

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust had provided her with “exemplary” care and had been careful to make sure she was both supported, but that her privacy was also protected, the coroner added.

Coroner’s officer Claire Rogers said there was evidence of a decline in Molly’s mental health earlier this year.

She said: “Her phone was full of photos you would expect to find on a young woman’s phone: pictures and selfies with friends, etc.

“But social activity dropped off from May onwards.”

The court heard that Molly had suffered greatly after the death of a colleague earlier this year, and that her work had been very stressful in the week leading up to her death, with an incident occurring on the Wednesday.

Due to her depression and post traumatic stress,

Molly was taking prescription sedatives to help her sleep better.

The cause of death was recorded as heart and lung failure, caused by bilateral pneumonia from the injection of insulin and drugs, including the antidepressant venlafaxine.