PEOPLE have voiced their disgust after a war memorial called ‘The Lone Soldier’ was vandalised.

The memorial had been put up in Broadfield, Crawley, as part of the town’s Remembrance Day events.

But yesterday it was found in two pieces after being vandalised.

Thousands of people have branded the incident “sickening” after a picture of the memorial was shared on Facebook.

Responding to a picture posted on Spotted Crawley, one person said: “Is nothing sacred these days?

“Saddens me that this sort of behaviour is on the rise and deemed acceptable and the norm to some.

“Personally I’d make the perpetrator(s) work in a care home looking after retired veterans.”

Another added: “I’m actually quite ashamed to call myself a Crawley resident lately.

“Absolutely disgusting.

“I will never let my children grow up and turn out like the scum we live around today.”

And a third said: “People died for us just for scum to totally disrespect what they done for them, big fine and prison time not harsh in my opinion.”

One angry mum said: “To whoever did it if your reading this, your not cool, you were probably showing off to your mates!

“It really just shows what horrible human beings you really are!

“I’m so sorry it was ruined by those idiots who don’t deserve the life they have.

“If it wasn’t for those men and women who fought for us all those years ago they certainly wouldn’t be enjoying the freedom they have now! Rant over!! This made me so angry!”

Others called for national service to be reintroduced.

The vandalism attack came days after Armistice Day, also known as Remembrance Day, which marks the day World War One ended at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month, in 1918.

A spokeswoman for The Royal British Legion said: “The Legion is greatly disturbed to hear of the vandalism of the Broadfield Silent Soldier memorial.

“War memorials and graves honour the unique contribution and sacrifices of the British Armed Forces.

“They deserve to be treated with the utmost respect.”

It is not clear when the memorial was vandalised.

Sussex Police did not respond to a request for comment.