A SEAFRONT road remains closed as police continue to investigate a suspected hit and run.

The A259 Marine Parade in Brighton was closed shortly after 5am on Sunday.

Police put the area in lock down.

Two men were left fighting for their life in hospital after being run over by a car which was later abandoned in Middle Street.

A third man was also taken to hospital.

Officers remained at the scene and cordoned off the road in both directions on Sunday, but have ruled out a terrorist motive.

The cordon remains in place today.

Police said a large group of men had been fighting with weapons in the street, before some of the men got into a car and drove into the three victims.

>> Read more: Brighton seafront closed- how to get around the diversion

The drivers made off and a navy blue BMW believed to have been involved was later found abandoned with a smashed rear windscreen in Middle Street.

Blood, clothing and shoes were seen strewn across the road.

Forensics teams searched the area, and more than 50 officers were drafted in.

Charles Firth, general manager at the Amsterdam Hotel, said: “Our night porter heard it. But he was in the back of the building at the time so didn’t see what happened.

“When I came in early the road was already all closed off.

“It must be very serious for them to have closed off the road like that for so long.”

Tom Bourlet, who lives near the scene in Marine Parade said: “I woke up pretty early but it was before then. There are clothes and shoes all over the road,

“There was a lot of blood on the street too.”

Sussex Police said: “Police were called to a report of a large group of people fighting with weapons in Marine Parade, Brighton, at 5.20am on Sunday

>> Read more: Seafront in lockdown after hit and run

“As officers were responding, it was reported that some of the group had got into a vehicle which then struck three men involved in the fight. They were taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, with injuries, two with serious head injuries.

“A 32-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and is in custody.

“The vehicle was later found abandoned.”

Detective Inspector Chris Thompson said: “We are appealing for anyone who may have been in the area between 4am to 5.30am to come forward.

“We are also appealing to anyone who may have mobile phone or dashcam footage of the incident to get in touch.”