A “VERY loved” woman is the latest in a string of patients at a private mental health hospital whose deaths are being investigated.

Suzanne Roberts had to beg her mother to call an ambulance because she felt staff were not taking notice of her, an inquest heard.

In an emotional statement, Loraine Prowse said her daughter’s care was “shocking”.

The 33-year-old was being detained at The Dene hospital in Hassocks, which has since been taken over by the Priory Group.

She died after being found unresponsive on her medium secure ward on October 18, 2015.

An inquest into her death opened before a jury at Centenary House in Crawley on Wednesday.

Miss Roberts had a history of mental health issues from a young age and would frequently self harm, the inquest heard.

She was treated by various professionals and moved around the country as she was treated at different centres.

She reported hearing a voice which told her to self harm, the jury was told.

Ms Prowse told the inquest: “I was growing increasingly concerned that Suzanne was being pushed from pillar to post with no continuity in her care.

“The only place that was willing to take Suzanne was The Dene.”

But within about two weeks of arriving there, Miss Roberts told her mother that she “hated it”, she said.

“She found it difficult to communicate with the staff,” said Ms Prowse.

“She begged me to call an ambulance because staff were not taking any notice of her.”

In the days before she died Miss Roberts was asking her mother to call the Care Quality Commission, the inquest heard.

Ms Prowse went to visit her daughter at The Dene on October 17, the day before she died.

She said: “Suzanne said she had really missed me and loved me.”

But her mother was surprised to hear that staff had run out of the right dressings for Miss Roberts’s chronic abdominal wound two days before and were instead using incontinence pads.

“I was furious,” she told the inquest.

“I did not understand how a hospital could have run out of vital dressings.”

The following day she was found unresponsive and despite efforts to resuscitate her, Miss Roberts died.

Ms Prowse told the inquest: “I felt that the way that The Dene had handled Suzanne’s care and dealt with me and the rest of Suzanne’s family on the day she died was shocking.”

“Although Suzanne had some troubles in her life she was very loved by her family and is still greatly missed.

“Had she had the right support I am sure she would have had been a very successful person.

“I have so many questions and concerns around the way Suzanne died.”

Dr Diana Tamlyn, a consultant forensic psychiatrist, was working at The Dene when Miss Roberts was admitted.

Facing questions at the inquest, she said that The Dene was “short staffed”.

Assistant coroner James Healy-Pratt told jurors that this is the final inquest in a series of three in relation to The Dene.

The Dene was previously run by Partnerships in Care Ltd but following a corporate merger in 2016, management was assumed by the Priory Group.

The inquest continues.