POLICE have launched a murder inquiry after a man’s body was found in a building.

Officers were called to the property in North Street, Brighton, over concerns for a man inside on Thursday afternoon.

A man, who has not yet been identified, was found dead inside.

The death is being treated as murder and detectives are investigating the circumstances.

Two teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Officers were seen at the building opposite Bond Street on Thursday night.

Dozens of police were going in and out of the building, and there were several police cars at the scene.

Yesterday morning community support officers remained at the scene of the cordon.

Inside the front entrance there appeared to be signs of disturbance, with debris scattered over the floor of the entrance hall.

Paper and glass was strewn across the floor, and police tape was put up inside.

On the first floor there are smashed windows.

Officers remained on guard at the building, which stands opposite the Post and Telegraph Wetherspoons pub.

Sushanta Saha, manager of the neighbouring Jack’s of Brighton souvenir shop, said he believed the building has been empty for three or four years.

He said: “It is shocking that this happened. When I arrived in the morning there were several police officers here. I had to ask if I was ok to open the shop.

“The building has been empty, but it was broken into a few weeks before Christmas.

“At one point I think there were about 20 people in there. There was lots of noise from parties.”

In a statement the police said: “We have launched a murder investigation after a man’s body was discovered at a building in North Street, Brighton.

“Officers attended the property following a report of concerns for a person on Thursday afternoon (2 January).

“The death of the man is being treated as unexplained at this stage and the circumstances are being investigated. As part of the investigation, officers are conducting enquiries in the city centre this morning (Friday 3 January).”

Chief Superintendent Nick May said: “We are at the very early stages of an investigation to establish what has happened in this tragic incident.”

An 18-year-old man from Greenwich and a 16-year-old boy, of no fixed address, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and remain in police custody at this stage.

Witnesses or those with information about the incident are asked to contact the police on 101 or on the Sussex Police website quoting Operation Gatling.

Alternatively call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.