A TWO-year-old died in hospital after choking on a sausage at a holiday park.

James Manning, who had swallowing difficulties, choked on the sausage while at Butlin’s in Bognor with his family, an inquest heard.

The toddler, from Battle, was in a restaurant at the resort where “4,000 plus guests” were staying at the time.

James was rushed to a nearby hospital, but he died at Southampton General Hospital on June 20, 2018.

James’s parents Andrew Manning and Natalie Reeves attended a full inquest hearing alongside Andrew’s mother Margaret Manning and Natalie’s mother Angela Knight at Crawley Coroner’s Court yesterday.

The Argus:

Natalie’s lawyer Thomas Coke-Smyth and representatives of Butlin’s also attended as well as paramedics from South East Coast Ambulance Service and other medical professionals.

Before opening the inquest, assistant coroner Karen Harrold said: “Was this a tragic accident or was this in fact affected by James’ pre-existing condition?”

She added: “No doubt there are little kiddies with enlarged tonsils also visiting.

“Has this happened before?”

A request to adjourn the inquest was made to obtain more information regarding James’s pre-existing condition but was denied in the interest of the hearing, the public interest and James’s family.

Mr Coke-Smyth said information was not provided by Butlin’s prior to the full inquest hearing regarding its policies and procedures.

He said: “One of the key things we do not have is policies and procedures from Butlin’s in respect of emergency services access, guest medical emergencies and first aid.

“We have seen nothing about training or anything on those matters.”

Consultant paediatric pathologist Dr Samantha Holden confirmed James’s cause of death as hypoxic ischemic brain injuries, or a lack of oxygen to the brain, caused by a cardiac arrest following choking.

But she could not confirm whether earlier medical intervention would have saved his life and how long the tot was not breathing.

Ms Harrold said: “In other words, a choking episode led to a cardiac heart problem and ultimately James died from a lack of oxygen.”