A MENTAL health patient was found dead in bed by staff in a hospital.

Joel Eneke had been admitted to the Mill View Hospital in Hove last year.

The 32-year-old, of Carlisle Road, Hove, was being treated there, but when a doctor and nurse entered his room on December 28, they found him dead.

An investigation was launched, and city pathologist Dr David Wright carried out a post-mortem examination.

He gave a provisional finding that Mr Eneke, a former Hove Park School pupil, who was unemployed, had died from haemorrhagic enteritis.

The condition is caused by a type of bacteria which affects the body and can cause bloody diarrhoea and serious complications.

Dr Wright also noted that Mr Eneke suffered with sleep apnoea caused by being overweight.

At Woodvale this week Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley opened the inquest into Mr Eneke’s death.

She said that for the moment, there may not be a need for a jury to be called to hear evidence in the case.

But this could change if evidence comes to light that may change the provisional cause of death.

The coroner said Mr Eneke is survived by his mother and father, a brother and two sisters, as well as two grandmothers and three nieces and nephews.

Mr Eneke had previously been detained to Mill View Hospital under section 3 of the Mental Health Act.

The section allows for a patient to be detained under a “treatment order” for up to six months of mental health care in non-emergency situations.

Coroner’s officer Claire Rogers said: “Joel Eneke was born in Brighton and resided in Carlisle Road, Hove.

“He was unemployed and single, and was confirmed deceased by paramedics on December 28 at Mill View Hospital.

“He was found in bed, not breathing when a nurse and doctor entered the room for a check.”

Ms Hamilton-Deeley said: “Obviously because Mr Eneke was under section, the Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust is an interested party. I have a natural cause of death, which means that although there needs to be an inquest, because he was detained under Section 3, I do not have to hold an inquest with a jury, unless anything in the intervening week’s investigations is revealed.”

She said evidence from his GP and key worker would be required, and suggested either a full inquest or a pre-inquest review should be done on April 22.