AN ARTIST was found dead in his bathroom from a heroin overdose, an inquest was told.

Peter Edwards lived alone at Lower Chalvington Place, Brighton, where neighbours grew concerned.

A bathroom light was on continuously for days and a neighbour could see him through the window.

Police and paramedics were called, and found the 55-year-old dead inside.

At his inquest opening at Brighton Coroner’s Court, it was revealed Mr Edwards was found dead in January.

Coroner’s officer Arianna Palermo said a syringe was found in the sink and drugs paraphernalia was found in the flat.

She said he is survived by his sons, his parents, and a grandmother.

The inquest heard that pathologist Dr Mark Taylor gave a provisional cause of death as heroin toxicity.

Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley adjourned the full inquest until May 15.