THE OWNERS of a troubled bar say they reached a deal with the council to allow the venue to stay open.

Police and council chiefs had raised concerns over The Gin Tub in Church Road, Hove.

The bar had its licence formally revoked in December last year over concerns about class A drugs being used.

A council licensing panel revoked the alcohol licence, but this was held pending the outcome of an appeal by the owners.

Now The Argus can reveal that the owners have completed new drugs tests and have cracked down on the problem.

It is owned by Steve and Justine Guille and son-in-law Scott Callister, who said a “consent order” is being finalised with the authorities.

Mr Callister apologised to patrons for the “damage to our reputation” but said he wants the venue to move on and be better than before.

Previously Brighton and Hove City Council allowed the bar to remain open until an appeal hearing before magistrates.


The authority previously said: “The licensing panel which represents the council’s licensing authority revoked the premises licence for the premises known as the Gin Tub on December 9 following a review hearing brought by the police.

“The panel were very concerned that the management had not taken the issue of Class A drug use in their premises seriously enough despite the evidence, interventions and warnings from the police.

“However, the premises licence holder appealed the council’s decision, which is their statutory right to do so.

“The subsequent appeal hearing was to be held in a magistrates court.

“Until the appeal is determined by magistrates, the decision by the council to revoke the licence was to be held in abeyance.

“The council is bound to respect the law on such matters.”

The authority said it was “not confident” that the management had a commitment to tackling the problems.

In a letter to the owners, the panel said: “The panel appreciate that some of the right measures may now be being put in place but this is only really in response to this review and has not been tested.”

Now, Mr Callister said: “We have come to an agreement with the council and a Consent Order is currently in the process of being finalised and sent to the courts.

“This is following further drug swabs which we passed with flying colours and the employment of a new management team.

“We will be working closely with the police to ensure this problem does not arise again.”

He said the bar will be closed over the course of the weekend of April 18 while changes are made to the toilets.

Mr Callister added: “We’d like to thank the public for their tremendous support and understanding during this difficult time. We apologise to all our customers for the damage to our reputation and intend to move on stronger and better than before.”