POLICE became embroiled in a seven-hour stand-off following an attempt to arrest a wanted man near Hove seafront.

Officers were locked in a stalemate with a man seen dangling his legs from a second-storey window in Seafield Road, Hove.

He had barricaded himself inside the property after police turned up in the road in the early hours.

The force said they had "reason to believe a wanted man was staying there".

Police tape was stretched across the entrance to the road "as a precaution" with several police officers standing guard.

A police car parked nearby was later joined by a force van which set up shop opposite the house in which the man was sitting in the window.

The Argus:

Fire crews also joined them at the scene, followed by a team from the South East Coast Ambulance Service.

A resident living nearby, who had watched the bizarre situation unfold, said: "He's been there for hours - he looks quite bored and sad. 

"There is a police van on the other side of the road and they seem to be talking on a radio, figuring out what to do. It's all very relaxed to be honest. 

The Argus:

"When I first saw him I just assumed he didn't have a garden and was trying to get some sun."

Shortly after noon, Sussex Police released a statement on the situation.

The force said officers had first attended Seafield Road at 6.20am "as they had reason to believe a wanted man was present at an address".

The Argus:

A spokeswoman said: "Officers are currently trying to engage with the man. The road has been cordoned off as a precaution.

"The incident is ongoing and there is no further information at this stage."

This afternoon, a passerby said they had seen a police negotiator attempting to speak with the man.

An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said that it was "an incident that Sussex Police are currently leading on" and fire crews had been called to assist.

The Argus:

Just before 2pm, more than seven hours after the stand-off began, the Sussex Police Tactical Enforcement Unit entered the property and made an arrest.

A force spokeswoman said that, when officers had first arrived shortly before 6.30am, the man had "barricaded himself inside the property".

She said: "Officers closed the road as a precaution while they engaged with the man.

The Argus:

"Shortly before 2pm, officers from the Tactical Enforcement Unit were able to enter the property, arresting a man and bringing the incident to a safe conclusion.

"The 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of arson and obstructing/resisting a constable in the execution of their duty.

"He has been taken into police custody, where he remains at this time."