A NEIGHBOURHOOD was cordoned off late at night as police retraced their steps in a murder probe.

Officers were seen blocking roads around St James’s Street and in Marine Parade in Brighton on Thursday night.

Residents claimed they were told the roads were closed for “admin work”.

Police have confirmed the area was closed from 11pm while “further investigations” were carried out at the scene of an alleged murder in December.

The force said the further work involved “collision investigations” and apologised to residents for disruption.

Brothers Iftekhar and Irfan Khondaker were charged over their roles in the alleged incident and face trial.

Suel Delgado, 20, from Crawley, died in hospital after a suspected hit and run by a car on December 1.

Meanwhile Azaan Khan and Raja Zakir Khan were also hurt in the incident and suffered life-changing injuries.

The area was sealed off and traffic on the busy A259 was closed for nearly three days after the incident.

Detectives and forensics experts combed the area for clues and Operation Danebridge was launched as a murder inquiry.

Flowers, a football shirt and messages were pinned to gates outside The Amsterdam Hotel at the scene in tribute to Mr Delgado.

One message on flowers from Rhi Rhi described an 11-year friendship.

The message said: “To my best friend and brother, thank you for the amazing and beautiful memories. Shine bright baby, keep shining.

“I will never forget you, I love you for ever and always.”

His family said: “Suel was a beloved son, brother and friend. He always took care of his family and he will be sadly missed.”

His friends Faye, Adrian, Tayah and Isla wrote: “My lovely Suel.

“RIP beautiful. Things will never be the same. You really were too good for this earth. Love you.”

Suel played football for Loxwood and the club said: “We will miss everything about you: Your cheeky smile, energy and jokes.

“Such a lovely lad to have around the club.”

Iftekhar Khondaker, 34, was charged with the murder of Suel Delgado, and two counts of attempted murder relating to Afzaan and Raja Zakir Khan.

His younger brother Irfan, 26, was charged with assisting an offender.

Both men, formerly of Caithness Road, Mitcham, South London, denied the charges when they appeared before Judge Christine Laing QC in a Skype hearing in April.

A trial date was set for August.

The judge said: “You have both pleaded not guilty and won’t be surprised to hear that I cannot guarantee that the trial will take place on that date.

“At present no courts are able to hear jury trials and we have a backlog of cases.”