SCHOOLS and council nurseries have been told to reopen from Monday.

The director for public health in Brighton and Hove said “necessary measures are now in place” and that the doors should be opened to more pupils from the beginning of next week.

On May 29, Brighton and Hove City Council said schools were not to open the following Monday, saying it is not yet safe to do so.

This went against government guidance.

However from Monday, infant and primary schools are asked to take in nursery years, reception, Year 1 and Year 6 pupils.

Secondary schools are asked to provide face-to-face support for young people in Years 10 and 12 during the summer term.

Over the last ten days, the council’s public health team has been “closely monitoring” the progress of the Test and Trace programme and how this is working in Brighton and Hove.

They say they now have sufficient reassurance that the service is in place to test anyone with symptoms of coronavirus and trace their close contacts.

Alistair Hill, director of public health, said: “It’s our goal for more children to be back in school in as safe an environment as possible as soon as possible.

“I am sufficiently reassured that necessary measures are now in place, especially around Test and Trace, to mitigate risk. Control measures for potential outbreaks are also clear.”

The council said its previous position on reopening schools was based on advice from its public health team that there was no reasonable assurance that all the Government’s five tests were met locally, in particular around the Test and Trace programme.

However, the new approach was decided at a meeting on Wednesday morning, where councillors and senior education officers heard the latest updates from the council’s public health team.

The latest plans will be remaining under constant review.

The Education Secretary has confirmed that primary schools in England will not be able to welcome all pupils back before the summer holidays.

The Government’s ambition had been for all primary schoolchildren to return to the classroom for four weeks before the end of the summer term but Gavin Williamson has announced that this will not be required.

Schools, colleges and nurseries across the UK closed more than 11 weeks ago due to the coronavirus outbreak, remaining open only for vulnerable pupils and the children of key workers.

But last week, children in nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 began returning to school in England.

Government guidance says these children should be kept in class sizes of no more than 15 pupils.

The Government wants secondary schools and colleges to provide “some face-to-face support” to Year 10 and 12 pupils, as well as 16 to 19-year-old students who are due to take key exams next year, from June 15.

Only a quarter of pupils will be able to attend at any one time in order to limit the risk of transmission.

Mr Williamson has told MPs that he plans for GCSE and A-level exams to go ahead as normal next year.