THOUSANDS of protesters have returned to the streets of the city to hold another Black Lives Matter march.

Campaigners marched down Brighton's busiest thoroughfare in North Street to make their voice heard.

The banner held at the front of the march, and repeated on many handmade signs read: "Silence is compliance."

It follows previous marches in Brighton city centre, including a gathering of as many as 10,000 by the pier in June.

Today the protest appears to have gathered in the city centre and marched down the hill, before turning left at the Old Steine to march past the Royal Pavilion.

The Argus:

It is understood the protest will finish at The Level, and police liaison officers have been deployed to make sure people are safe.

Brighton and Hove Buses has said services including the 22, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 48 and 50 have all had to stop at Old Steine.

The 28 and 29 services travelling from Lewes have had to stop at the Lewes Road bus garage.

The recent wave of anger that sparked Black Lives Matter was caused by the death of George Floyd in the city of Minneapolis in Minnesota, USA.

Read more on The Argus: Recap the last Black Lives Matter protest in Brighton in July

With a Presidential election looming in the United States, activists around the world have wanted to highlight concerns about racism in society.

In Brighton and Hove, campaigners marched to the police station in John Street.

Campaigners have raised awareness of the case of Jay Abatan who died after an attack in Brighton on 1999. His brother Michael has previously criticised the original investigation.

Read more on The Argus: Picture gallery from the Black Lives Matter march in June

In January Sussex Police issued a £10,000 reward for information that could lead to a conviction in the case.

Meanwhile earlier this month the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) launched an investigation into an arrest made in Montpelier Road in Brighton on July 7.

Previous Black Lives Matter protests in Brighton have been peaceful.

The Argus:

The last was held on July 11, where protesters gathered at the pier and marched along the seafront, before turning up West Street.

In June, the march went past Brighton's war memorial in Old Steine, with some army veterans standing by the monument over fears it could be vandalised.