THE boy accused of killing a teenager says he acted in lawful self defence.

A murder investigation was launched after 18-year-old Ollie Wells was found stabbed in Elphick Road, Newhaven, in January.

He had suffered two wounds to his back and to his head.

The teenage defendant, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was said to have “cruelly murdered” Ollie Wells in a “frenzied” rage.

But at Hove Crown Court the defendant gave his evidence and said Ollie was trying to attack him.

The Argus:

The scene in Newhaven

He said there was a car with a group of young men inside and he felt Ollie Wells had “brought trouble” to him.

During his evidence, he said he had heard him talking with others, saying they would need to “sort him [the defendant] out”.

Read more on this story: Teenage boy accused of stabbing other teenager in 'frenzy' [Prosecution opening]

Just two weeks earlier the teenage defendant had been attacked, the court heard.

The boy said Ollie was trying to punch him and during the course of the short struggle, claimed he had forgotten he had a knife in his hands when he tried to parry punches then punched him back.

Jurors were told how witnesses heard the defendant and Ollie shouting at people in the street, believed to be in a car on the night of January 6.

Thomas Nicholson-Pratt, defending, countered claims made by prosecution barrister Sarah Jones QC earlier in the trial, who said the boy’s excuse of “self defence” was “ludicrous”.

The Argus:

Ollie Wells died of his wounds in Newhaven in January

The defence barrister told jurors: “This is an absolute tragedy, one youngster lost his life and the future of another hangs in the balance.

“The defendant accepts he caused Ollie Wells’ death. The problem with having a knife is that other unexpected events can happen and things go horribly wrong, with unintended consequences.”

Read more on this story: Jury hears harrowing ambulance 999 call in murder trial

Mr Nicholson-Pratt said much of the boy’s evidence was borne out in the evidence given by witnesses and said the prosecution had come up with “theories” which were not proof of what happened.

The barrister said how the boy had struggled at school and was therefore no match in expressing himself against the prosecutor.

He added: “Something must have drastically changed the dynamic between the two young men, and that was the arrival of others in a car.”

The boy denies murder, and jury members are expected to retire to consider their verdict tomorrow.

Keep informed of court reports by joining our Facebook group here: Sussex crime and court watch