TWO dogs were rushed to the vets after eating poo containing drugs.

Hungarian Vizslas Hetty, six, and Tippi, five, are believed to have consumed the cannabis-ridden faeces on the beach near Millionaire’s Row on Hove seafront.

Hetty’s condition soon began to deteriorate when returning from the walk, leading worried owner Josie Beasley to rush the beloved pet to Southdown Vets in New Church Road.

“This was incredibly frightening,” owner Ms Beasley said.

“Hetty started to lose control of her legs and her head was twitching – we thought something had happened to her neurologically.

“We rushed to the vet and then came back to find Tippi in the same state.”

The pair of dogs were put on fluids by veterinarians at the Hove practice to help with their condition as they were unable to stand up.

Hetty and Tippi later returned home, where frightened Ms Beasley watched over them through the night.

Ms Beasley said: “The cost of this afternoon was £1,051. We’re insured, but obviously wouldn’t have cared if we weren’t.

“I went back to look at the boulders by Millionaire’s Row. Human poo and soiled tissue was plain to see along with cans and bottles.”

A test result later confirmed the pair had ingested cannabis.

The Argus:

Ms Beasley is warning others of the dangers following the ordeal.

She said: “I know it’s gross that my dogs ate human poo but that’s pretty normal for dogs.

"By the time you realise that’s what they’ve found, it’s too late.

"I always keep them on the lead through the lagoon as the homeless used to use the bushes there – I appreciate they have nowhere else to go at night – but the beach at low-tide has always been fine.

“There are obviously people drinking by the boulders because there are cans and bottles left there when you look, but they are also being used as toilets.

“Not sure anyone can stop that but I wanted people to be aware as my girls were really unwell.”

Dogs eating faeces is called Copraphagia and is not uncommon behaviour among canines.

It is not conclusively known why dogs do this, however there are explanations – like a penchant for the taste, or instinctive reasons – that have been put forward.

Tippi is a rescue dog from Hungary, who was saved by a UK/Hungarian charity called Vizslamentes.