THE FATHER of a man who was knifed to death in a drugs deal gone wrong described his shock and sadness.

Abdul Deghayes was stabbed by drug gang leader Daniel Macleod, known as Frank, in Brighton.

The 22-year-old had been out with his friend Colby Broderick for the night, but was attacked by Macleod in the darkness outside Hanover Court in Elm Grove on February 16, 2019.

His father Abubaker Deghayes was a former leader at the Al-Quds mosque in Brighton, and the family lived in Saltdean.

At the time of his son’s death Mr Deghayes said: “As a family we are in mourning. It is a great shock.

The Argus:

Abubaker Deghayes, the young man's father

"Abdul was very popular with his friends. He loved Brighton a lot. He was a cheerful guy.

"We just know he was found in a car, there was a lot of blood and he was brought to hospital.

"They tried to keep him alive and he died in the morning.

Read more on this story:

"I can't even think of who would take such a step to do this to Abdul."

Abdul was the twin brother of Abdullah who was killed fighting the regime of Syrian dictator Bashar Al-Assad in Syria in 2016, he was 18.

Their brother Jaffar, 17, was killed in 2014 in the country while trying to fight the government there.

They are survived by fourth brother, Amer, a former finance student, who also travelled to Syria and remains there.

The Argus:

The young brothers went to fight in Syria

In April, The Argus spoke to journalist Mark Townsend who wrote about how the group of young men from East Brighton decided to join the fight in Syria.

He started by meeting members of the so-called “Hill Street Gang” (HSG) in Brighton, who had been led by 18-year-old Amer Deghayes and had trained at the Brothers’ Gym in the city.

Mr Townsend’s work led him to speak with the eldest brother, who has witnessed the death of Abdullah and Jaffar during the conflict, as well as with the gang members left behind.

The Argus:

Tributes to Abdul Deghayes at Elm Grove, Brighton

As the Government has said those who remained in Syria would face a ten-year prison sentence if they returned to Britain, Mr Townsend has asked unsettling questions about how the youths were radicalised in the first place and how there were missed opportunities by the authorities to intervene.

Mr Townsend said: “The narrative behind those who went to Syria is owned by the police, Home Office and the Government, so I wanted to look at it again.

“Failings were identified and they have not been addressed. Questions have been asked but have gone unanswered.

“It is really shocking how they got drawn into this. You have got disenfranchised young men, and for various, often relatable reasons, they decided to go to Syria.”

The Argus:

Award-winning journalist for The Observer and The Guardian Mark Townsend

He said as many as 30 youngsters in Brighton had been part of the group that were left behind.

The book examines the Deghayes’ family and their arrival in the UK from Libya as refugees.

Abubaker Deghayes, the brothers’ father, fled the brutal Gaddafi regime after his father Amer Taher Deghayes was killed in custody for fighting for trade union and human rights.

Amnesty International said he was “believed to have been extra-judicially executed”.

But life as refugees for Abubaker’s young sons in Saltdean was difficult and they faced often daily racism and abuse.

Mr Townsend’s book No Return: The True Story Of How Martyrs Are Made is now available and is printed by Guardian Faber, at a cost of £12.99. Visit to find out more.