A FIRE broke out on the first floor of a home last night.

Fire crews were called to Wroxham Way in Felpham at about 6pm.

Teams from Chichester and Littlehampton attended the scene with fire engines quickly filling the residential street.

The Argus:

Firefighters worked quickly, unreeling hoses to battle the blaze.

People living in nearby houses were advised to keep their doors and windows closed to prevent smoke billowing from the burning building from entering their homes.

A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Servicespokesman said: "Joint Fire Control received a call to a fire inside an end of terrace house in Wroxham Way, Felpham, near Bognor at about 6pm yesterday.

The Argus:

“Fire engines from Bognor, Chichester and Littlehampton were mobilised to the scene along with the aerial ladder platform.

“Upon arrival crews were faced with a developing fire in a first floor bedroom at the rear of the property and there were fears that the fire had spread to the roof space.

"A total of six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus made entry into the property to extinguish the fire, before crews began ventilating the affected and adjoining property.

The Argus:

“The fire was believed to have been caused by a faulty battery charger.

“Colleagues from the British Red Cross were requested to attend to assist the occupiers.”