TWO suspects are still on the loose after gunshots were heard during a city centre fight.

A man was seen pointing a weapon at another, who defended himself with a traffic cone, during the altercation in Rock Place, Brighton, shortly before noon on Monday.

Sussex Police later confirmed that one of the men was in possession of a firearm as armed officers shut down the St James's Street area of the city and launched a large search.

The police helicopter was scrambled to assist ground units in the hunt for those involved in the incident and hovered above East Brighton for several hours.

The Argus:

The victim was found, unharmed, but a man and a woman sought by police following the fight remained missing.

Today, police confirmed that their investigation into the incident is ongoing.

A spokesman said: "Police continue their investigation into an altercation in Rock Place whereby a firearm is believed to have been discharged.

"Enquiries to establish the full circumstances and the identity of the suspects is still ongoing.

The Argus:

"The road closures have since been lifted and we appreciate the patience of those affected by the disruption.

"Police continue to appeal to any witnesses or anyone with information who could assist the police investigation to make contact stating reference Operation Spyglass."

Police issued an appeal for help in finding the two suspects on Monday evening.

Investigating officer Detective Inspector Donna Ward said: "This is a fast-paced investigation where fortunately, the victim did not sustain any injuries.

The Argus:

“We are searching for a man and a woman in connection with the incident. The man is described as white, in his mid-late 20s, with short mousey brown hair and wearing dark blue jeans and a black puffer jacket.

"The woman is described as being late teens or early 20s, of slim build, with long blonde hair and wearing a red coat with a fur trim around the hood.

"It is believed that a firearm was discharged at the location and we will continue to investigate whether the victim was known to the suspects. There is not believed to be a wider threat to the community."