A family have paid tribute to their "beautiful" two-year-old daughter who has died.

Sadie Salt passed away at St Mary’s Hospital in London on Saturday, two days after she choked while eating sausages for lunch at her nursery.

The emergency services were called to a nursery at around lunchtime on Thursday to reports of a child in cardiac arrest.

Paramedics rushed to the scene, along with an air ambulance, and Sadie was taken to hospital.

Sadie, who has two brothers aged seven and ten, spent two days in intensive care but passed away on Saturday.

Her family, who live in Barnet, have described the care Sadie received at the hospital as "outstanding" and "beyond amazing".

They have set up a fundraising page in "loving memory of their princess Sadie" to support COSMIC, a charity which supports critically ill children and their parents.

More than £30,000 has been raised already, with dozens of wellwishers leaving messages of condolence.

Donate to COSMIC here.

The Argus:

The page, set up by parents Adam and Zoe, says: "We are devastated to have lost our beautiful Sadie on Saturday 14th November. Sadie spent two days in St Mary's Hospital paediatric ICU (intensive care unit) where the care she, mummy and daddy received was incredible.

"The team at the ICU are beyond amazing and the care for Sadie and the support for us was outstanding! They do an amazing job and fully deserve all the support they can get.

"They took tremendous care of our Sadie and us and nothing was too much to make us all feel loved, cared for and supported.

"We are in terrible pain as we suffer the untimely loss of our daughter and sister, but the huge support of love from you all has been overwhelming. We are so proud to tell you that she was able to help others by donating vital organs to go on and save lives.

"Please show your love and support for Sadie and us by giving to this wonderful charity. It means so much to us all and from the bottom of our hearts we thank you all for thinking of us xxx"

Meanwhile, family friends have launched a petition, calling for nurseries to ban serving sausages and grapes.

The petition creators, Darren Ruback and Claire, wrote: "This is a petition we never thought we’d be writing. Tragically on the 14th November 2020, Darren’s best friend's daughter lost her life after choking on a piece of sausage whilst having her lunch at nursery.

"She was just 2 years old. Our friends have lost their baby. Our baby has lost his friend. Two young boys have lost their little sister. 

"We are fully aware that accidents happen but things can also be put in place to prevent these accidents occurring!

"Sausages are renowned for their awkward shape and tough skin, thus making it extra challenging for small children to chew. Grapes fall into the same category.

"We are appealing to get sausages and grapes banned from all nursery settings so no other family has to go through the devastation and heartbreak that so many people have felt this weekend. 

"Please sign our petition and forward it far and wide."

More than 2,500 people have signed the petition.

A number of agencies are investigating Sadie's death.

Hertfordshire Constabulary said: "Police were called shortly before 1pm on Thursday 12 November following an incident in Watling Street, Radlett.

"It was reported that a two-year-old girl had gone into cardiac arrest while at nursery.

"The ambulance service were already in attendance upon police arrival. The girl was taken to hospital where she sadly passed away on Saturday 14 November.

"Our thoughts are with all those affected at this extremely sad and difficult time.

"Multi-agency enquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances around the incident. It would therefore be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

A spokesperson for Mini Learners nursery in Radlett, where Sadie attended, said: "We are absolutely devastated by this news and our sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to the family."