AN ENTERPRISING man died after accidentally overdosing on his prescription for back pain.

Hamish Hardie had been diagnosed with a slipped disc at his home in Wisborough Green near Billingshurst.

He was given painkillers from Loxwood Medical Practice, including Oramorph.

But the label on the bottle of Oramorph said it should be “taken as directed”.

The 30-year-old’s previous drug problems did not spark a warning.

Hamish’s mother Mary-Anne was responsible for giving the unclear dosage, and tragically gave him too much.

He died at home in August 2019 from an overdose.

She felt let down by the GP practice for not having clear dosage instructions, or being included by doctors in discussions with her son, who was rebuilding his life.

An inquest into Hamish’s death suggested there were possible shortcomings in how the painkillers were given to him.

Loxwood Medical Practice has since boosted training and systems to check medication, it was reported.

But the surgery says the “unfortunate” human error was not a serious failing.

The Chichester Observer reported that Hamish had been in “severe pain” and doctors say patients in pain present a challenge over what the correct prescription should be.

Ms Hardie said: “We still feel that Hamish was badly let down that day and that his life was unnecessarily cut short by medical failings.

“It was May 2019 when Hamish developed back pain from a suspected slipped disc.

“That was confirmed on an A&E visit in June, when he was given Diazepam and put on the list for a possible operation.

“We are disappointed that the GPs did not see the alert on the computer and that if the labelling and prescription advice had been clear, or the pharmacy had spotted the inconsistency, then we feel that Hamish would still be here.”

Hamish was a graduate of Leeds University where he obtained a 2;1 grade studying international history and politics.

Ms Hardie said her son had turned his life around and had worked in business and public relations.

She said: “He was looking forward to job interviews and a new chapter in his life.”

West Sussex Coroner’s Court previously heard how Hamish had been given advice by Dr Carlos Novo, a trainee who had worked there for three years.

He was overseen Dr Emma Woodcock, who has 20 years’ experience as a GP trainer.

Dr Novo accepted he had not written a prescription amount on the bottle due to a lack of experience.

Specialist solicitor Tim Deeming from Tees Law represented Ms Hardie at the inquest. He said: “The Coroner described this as a perfect storm and it is tragic that the GPs did not know that the labelling system defaulted, and that the pharmacy did not then spot this.

“While we are glad to know that the Loxwood Medical Practice has made significant changes to procedures following Hamish’s death.

“We all hope that the NHS and GPs will take steps when providing such prescriptions to provide clear guidance on use, as well as checking computer systems to ensure that other families do not have such devastating outcomes.”

Coroner Karen Henderson recorded a conclusion of accidental death.