BRITAIN was the first country in the world to have a 'modern' railway - with iron tracks and a steam locomotive. 

The kingdom thrived during the 1800s as a result of the industrial revolution and first steam railway locomotive which was introduced by Richard Trevithick in 1804. 

Since then there has been a lot of development in the rail industry most astonishingly switching from coal powered locomotives to diesel and now making the switch to electric lines.

As a result of modernisation old railway lines and stations have become abandoned and lacked purpose in the modern world. 

In the 1960s, as households began to own cars, commuters started to prefer using road to rail - this switch is another key reason for the decline of old stations. 

A landmark report by then head of British Rail, Richard Beeching, led to the closure of many stations in the 60s. 

Here are some of Sussex's forgotten railways stations:

Horam Railway Station

The Argus:

Wikimedia Commons

This delightful railway station first opened in 1880 by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway company.

It was originally called Horeham Road and was known as Horeham Road for Waldron as it only served Waldron and nearby Horeham Manor. 

With the arrival of the railway and the Express Dairy depot a hamlet gradually grew around the station which was known as Horeham, later Horam. 

The Argus:

The site of Horam railway station in 2010 (Image: Nick Macneill/Creative Commons)

The station was part of the 'Cuckoo Line' from Polegate to Eridge - the name was adopted by the railwaymen who worked on the line due to the old Sussex legend that on April 14 the first cuckoo of summer was released at Heathfield Fair. 

By 1965 the Cuckoo Line was closed to passengers and Horam was closed in the same year. 

In the early 1990s the majority of the station was cleared to make way for a housing estate however one third of the southbound platform still survives alongside the Cuckoo Trail. 

Bishopstone Beach Halt 

Opened in 1864 the Bishopstone Beach Halt station sat on the west side of Mill Drove in East Sussex

The station was built on the Seaford Branch Line for residents of the Bishopstone and Tide Mills villages and located on the west side of Mill Drove. 

Tide Mills village was evacuated about 1940 when the Royal Navy took over the harbour. The halt was closed from 1st January 1942 although the last train stopped at the halt at the end of the summer in 1941.

Although it officially closed in 1942, a 'special' stopped at the station in the 70s as part of a Newhaven Historical Society event.

Now the line into Seaford has been singled however the platform remains intact with no track running through it. 

Bexhill West

The Argus:

(Image - Creative Commons)

Once a major hub of the community and main passenger hotspot, Bexhill West was opened in 1902 but was sadly closed in 1964. 

It was seen as a particularly extravagant station when it was first built as it featured red Welsh slates, mock Tudor timbers in its pavilions and a baroque clock turret on the roof. 

The station was the largest of three designed by the iconic CS Barry and CE Mercer.

Since its closure the platforms have been demolished but the main building still stands and was Grade II listed in 2013.

Withyham Station

The Argus:

(Wikimedia commons -  Slaffter - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0)

Withyham station was first opened in 1866 after a public meeting in 1853 was the formation of the East Grinstead Railway Company. 

The company gained Royal Assent to build a six and three-quarter mile line from East Grinstead to Three Bridges. 

The station at Withyham fell casualty to the Beeching Axe -a plan to increase efficiency of Britain's nationalised railways - and was closed in 1967.

The station building and platform are currently in use as a private residence while The Forest Way footpath runs along the trackbed of the site.

Lewes Road Station

The Argus:

(Google Street View)

Lewes Road Station opened in January 1906 and sat proudly on the southside of Hollingdean Road.

Initially owned by London Brighton and South Coast Railway, the station was later bought by Southern Railway who demolished the site. 

The station was open to passengers for 27 years until 1933 after which the Kemp Town line was only used for goods trains.