It is one of the most famous fights in boxing history, but what really happened in the Eubank vs Watson match?

Chris Eubank is appearing in the latest episode of Piers Morgan's Life Stories tonight. 

In the episode teaser published by ITV the champion boxer is seen fighting tears as he is asked about the infamous Watson match.

"I don’t really know whether I can even still make sense of what happened," Eubank told Morgan in the emotional TV interview. 

Three decades on since the nearly fatal fight it is clear the trauma is deeply ingrained in Eubank. 

When was the fight? 

The Chris Eubank vs Michael Watson WBO super-middleweight champion fight took place on September 21, 1991 in White Hart Lane, London. 

In the famous fight Watson suffered a near-fatal injury.

READ MORE: Piers Morgan's Life Stories: Who is Chris Eubank?

Was there much lead up to it? 

Watson and Eubank had fought previously in the conclusion to Eubank's middleweight career. 

Eubank narrowly defeated Watson in their first 12-round match.

In their super-middleweight championship fight the boxers were determined for their to be a strong winner. 

Both boxers hoped to take home the vacant WBO super-middleweight title. 

What happened during the fight? 

Eubank was behind on all scorecards after 10 rounds, and was knocked down 18 seconds from the end of the round.

He rose from the canvas (being given only a standing four-count instead of eight) to unleash a devastating uppercut to Watson's jaw right at the end of the round, knocking Watson's head and neck backwards into the ring ropes.

The bell sounded to end the round as soon as Watson was up from the count. 

The Argus:

Michael Watson suffered a near-fatal brain injury as a result of the fight. 

The fight continued and it was obvious to everyone watching - and to Eubank himself - that he needed a knockout to win. 

In the twelfth round, with Watson still visibly shaken, the fight was stopped with Watson under a flurry of punches from Eubank.

Minutes after the match Watson collapsed in his corner of the ring, there was no ambulance or paramedic at the event. 

A long delay in medical personnel arriving at the scene saw Watson remaining on the ring floor for eight minutes before doctors - still in their dinner jackets - came to his aid. 

A total of 28 minutes elapsed before Watson received treatment in a hospital neurosurgical unit.

What injuries was Watson left with? 

The match with Eubank was career-ending for Watson who spent 40 days in a coma and had six brain surgeries to remove a blood clot. 

During the first eight months he was unable to hear, speak or walk.

After regaining consciousness, he spent over a year in intensive care and rehabilitation and six more years as a wheelchair user while he slowly recovered some movement and regained the ability to speak and write.

What happened in the aftermath of the  fight? 

Watson sued the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC) for negligence and won damages reportedly of around £1 million.

The High Court ruled that the BBBoC was responsible for medical provision at a fight and that administering oxygen and resuscitation on site would have made a considerable difference to Watson's outcome.

The Argus:

Watson was awarded an MBE for his service to disability sport in 2004 (Chris Young/PA)

On 19 April 2003 Watson completed the London Marathon, walking two hours each morning and afternoon for six days.

Finishing the race by his side were Chris Eubank and his neurosurgeon, both of whom had become his personal friends.

In 2004 Michael Watson was awarded the MBE by Queen Elizabeth II for his services to disability sport.

After the Watson tragedy Eubank never again showed any desire to knock opponents out, preferring to retain his title through points victories.