A MOTHER who left her child to starve to death while celebrating her 18th birthday allegedly told staff at their supported accommodation that she was taking her baby with her.

Verphy Kudi partied across the country for six days while her 20-month-old daughter Asiah starved at their home in Brighton.

Kudi, who pleaded guilty to manslaughter on March 26, had told staff at Gochers Court in Islingword Road prior to her departure that she and Asiah would be leaving together for her birthday.

READ MORE: 'We told social services of a safeguarding incident' – YMCA responds following death

It was not unusual for Verphy and Asiah to leave the Hanover accommodation together from time to time, it is understood.

Verphy Kudi.

Verphy Kudi.

YMCA Downslink, which runs the accommodation, told The Times: “Verphy had made staff aware that she was going to be away to celebrate her 18th birthday with friends and family.

“Tragically, there was nothing to alert either staff or other residents that Verphy Kudi had left Asiah in the flat alone.

“No one heard Asiah cry, neither her immediate neighbours, staff nor other residents.”

Last week, The Argus revealed that despite Kudi’s troubled past, her baby was not under the watch of social services.

Asiah had been placed on a child protection plan. This is a plan drawn up by local authorities for children considered at risk.

However, little Asiah was no longer on a child protection plan at the time of her death, nor was she being helped by social work services.

Brighton and Hove City Council refused to answer a series of questions put to it by The Times about the dates Asiah was on a child protection plan or when Kudi had received support from social services.

When previously contacted by The Argus, a spokesman for the council said: “We have been deeply saddened by this tragedy.

“The case is currently the subject of criminal proceedings and the city’s Safeguarding Children Partnership is also conducting a review of the circumstances into the tragic death of this young child.

“We are undertaking an internal review, which will feed into the partnership review.”

Kudi had been referred to “low-supported accommodation” and was placed in the “independent living flats” at Gochers Court.

Kudi and Asiah had been living there for 11 weeks when the 20-month-old died.

CCTV showed Kudi left the flat on December 5, 2019, leaving her daughter alone to become hungry and thirsty.

Kudi did not return until December 11 when she called 999 to say her baby would not wake up.

Asiah was pronounced dead on arrival at the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital in Brighton.

A few days later, staff at Gochers Court contacted police after reviewing CCTV footage.