THOUSANDS of pounds have been raised for a man who was left in a coma after a suspected attack in Worthing.

People from across the community have set up two fundraising appeals for Alan Willson who was left in a life-threatening condition on Sunday night.

Officers were called to Whitebeam Road, Worthing, shortly before 7.30pm on Sunday after a man was found injured in the street.

It is believed he was assaulted in nearby Longcroft Park.

He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, where he remains in a life-threatening condition.

Police have already arrested four boys on suspicion of attempted murder and grievous bodily harm with intent.

It was later announced that a fifth boy had been arrested by Sussex Police for attempted murder.

The suspects have all been released under strict bail conditions.

Fundraisers set up to support the family have already made more than £6,000 since they were first posted.

One on Gofundme has reached £1,270 through 31 donations, while a second on JustGiving has raised £5,090.

The Argus: The scene at Longcroft Park on Sunday The scene at Longcroft Park on Sunday

Writing on the Gofundme campaign, the organiser Rhiann Wiseman said the funds would "take off any financial stress" on the family.

She wrote: "He is now in a coma after being beaten.

"We just want to take off any financial stress that is going to affect his wife and children.

"Anything will make a massive difference.

"Thank you so much for taking the time to read."

People left messages of support for Alan across the two pages.

One donor, Louie Hassett said: "I feel like my life was touched by Alan even in the short time I knew him."

Another donor, Mary Murray said: "My heart goes out to this family, such a disgusting attack in our community. Thoughts and prayers with you all."

Sussex Police said officers will be conducting increased high-visibility patrols in the area to provide reassurance to the community, and to identify and deter criminal behaviour.

The investigation is ongoing and police want to hear from anyone who saw what happened, or who was in the park around that time and may have any relevant information.

Detective Inspector Simon Dunn, who is leading the investigation, said: “The assault and the build up to it occurred in a public park in daylight, so it was likely that other people would have witnessed the assault or the suspects running from the scene.

"I am keen to hear from anyone who has information but is yet to come forward.”

Members of the public can contact police online or by calling 101 quoting Operation Swallowtail. Alternatively, information can be passed anonymously to police via the independent charity Crimestoppers online or by calling 0800 555 111.