VIDEO footage shows the sickening moment a road rage driver mowed down a traffic warden.

Arthur McGhie confronted Steven Smith in Wyvern Way in Burgess Hill.

The 55-year-old saw red and drove straight at Mr Smith, who was seen bouncing off the bonnet of the vehicle.

It left Mr Smith trapped upside down in a bush before McGhie went and punched him again.

Shocking footage of the incident on August 24 last year went viral after it was shared on Facebook.

At Hove Crown Court, McGhie was found not guilty of attempted murder, but admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent, dangerous driving, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm on a police officer.

He was found guilty of two further offences of assaults on emergency workers.

The court heard how traffic warden manager Steven Smith was driving home from work in his uniform at 12.15pm and tried to give way to recovery van driver McGhie.

Both men got out of their cars and a row ensued.

McGhie went back to his car, did a U-turn, then drove straight at Mr Smith.

Residents in the quiet residential area heard the massive bang and the sound of breaking glass as Mr Smith was mowed down by the silver Kia.

Rachel Beckett, prosecuting, said McGhie deliberately drove at Mr Smith before driving 100 yards to his home to park up his smashed vehicle.

Mr Smith flashed his lights at a junction near his home in Burgess Hill, West Sussex, to indicate he was letting the other driver go, the court heard.

“Mr Smith slowed to a stop, still indicating to the defendant that he could go ahead,” Ms Beckett said.

“The defendant was looking directly at Mr Smith but did not move his vehicle.”

Both drivers stopped near a mini roundabout and got out of their cars.

“Mr Smith asked if he had done something wrong,” Ms Beckett said. “The defendant replied, saying that Mr Smith was “sneaky” and “trying to trap people”.

“He looked at the emblem on Mr Smith’s shirt and said “yeah you lot, you’re sneaky”.

“The defendant repeated that Mr Smith was vermin, and vultures who follow and track people.

“Mr Smith asked if he was on drugs, as he was rambling in an aggressive way.”

There was a scuffle between them, partly on the pavement and partly in the road.

“Mr Smith turned away from the defendant as a member of the public had asked him if he was OK.

“As he turned back, he saw the defendant lunge towards him.

“Mr Smith was able to step out of the way, which caused the defendant to fall forwards.

“The defendant approached him again, but Mr Smith put his hand up and told him to stop, and not to be stupid.

The Argus: The case was heard at Hove Crown CourtThe case was heard at Hove Crown Court

“The defendant walked away, and Mr Smith assumed that was the end of the incident,” Ms Beckett said. “He heard a scream, which was followed by a car engine revving. He looked over his right shoulder and saw the defendant’s vehicle driving at him.

“He immediately then felt his back hit the bonnet of the car, and his head hitting the windscreen.

“He then felt his body hitting a hedge and he stood up. Mr Smith was in the hedge in a front garden and was not able to move. He heard people shouting but could not recall words used. He saw the driver get out and approach him. Mr Smith was not able to move his body.

“The defendant launched a punch towards his face, which Mr Smith moved his face to avoid,” Ms Beckett said.

Mr McGhie returned to his Kia and drove forwards into a pole before reversing and narrowly missing another vehicle.

He drove the short distance home, parking his damaged Kia Picanto in the driveway.

The Argus: Footage shows the shocking moment Mr Smith was struck by the Kia in Burgess Hill by driver Arthur McGhieFootage shows the shocking moment Mr Smith was struck by the Kia in Burgess Hill by driver Arthur McGhie

Mr Smith suffered several injuries and had blood dripping from his head when he was able to phone his partner from the scene to say he had no trousers.

His shirt had been ripped in the fight and the trousers shredded in the collision.

Mr Smith, a line manager for senior civil enforcement officers, working for Mid-Sussex District Council, suffered abrasions to the right forehead, right back of scalp and front of neck, tenderness over the lower cervical spine and lumbar spine, swelling, bruising and tenderness to the right wrist and forearm, grazes on the back of the right thigh and right lower back, tenderness and swelling of the right ankle, tenderness and an abrasion of the lower left part of the abdomen and tenderness at the base of the left index finger.

Scans and X-rays revealed no broken bones and he was discharged at about 6pm.

Video of the August 24 incident was shared and reposted to Facebook.

An off duty police officer was shown the video by her friend as she walked close by the scene minutes later.

She spotted Mr McGhie and attempted to arrest him after alerting colleagues.

She identified herself as police, the court heard, before being assaulted by Mr McGhie.

The Argus: The aftermath of the crash in Wyvern Way, Burgess HillThe aftermath of the crash in Wyvern Way, Burgess Hill

Body worn video of the arrest was shown to the jury. It took four officers to restrain Mr McGhie who struggled violently.

“A dog handler appeared on the footpath, along with four other police officers. They helped to restrain the defendant so that he was then under control.

“A police van attended to transport him to custody for interview. Officers had to carry the defendant to the police van,” Ms Beckett said.

Arthur McGhie, of Cants Lane, Burgess Hill, now faces sentencing in September.