A TEENAGE mother who left her 20-month-old baby alone to die while she partied only received two hours of support a week from a charity, a hearing was told.

YMCA DownsLink Group said they acted primarily as an accommodation provider for Verphy Kudi in the build up to her daughter’s death.

On the day she turned 18, Kudi walked out on her daughter Asiah - partying for five days, 21 hours and 58 minutes, while her baby starved to death.

At a pre-inquest review yesterday, YMCA representatives said while the charity did provide support to Kudi, it was limited to two hours a week.

YMCA representative Geoffrey Weddell said staff “wouldn’t be aware of day-to-day events between mother and daughter”.

Kudi and Asiah had been housed by social services at Gochers Court in Islingword Road, Brighton.

Gochers Court was run by YMCA - a service commissioned by Brighton and Hove City Council.

They were there for 11 weeks when Asiah was found dead in December 2019.

She had contracted influenza, a post mortem examination concluded she died from neglect.

Kudi pleaded guilty to manslaughter in March and was sentenced to nine years imprisonment on August 6.

A full inquest into baby Asiah's death is due to be held at the end of January 2022.

Assistant coroner Karen Henderson said she expects the inquest to last between three and five days.

The Argus: Kudi walked out on her 20-month-old daughter Asiah on the day she turned 18 - partying for five days, 21 hours and 58 minutes Kudi walked out on her 20-month-old daughter Asiah on the day she turned 18 - partying for five days, 21 hours and 58 minutes

Two of Kudi’s grandparents attended the hearing at Brighton and Hove Coroner's Court via video link

While Detective Constable Suzy McClintock and council representatives also attended.

A full witness list for the inquest was not confirmed, but friends and family of Kudi, former and present YMCA workers and representatives from council is expected to attend.

Post mortem and GP reports will also be used.

CCTV released by police shows Kudi leaving her flat on December 5, 2019, before videos show her partying at a 90s music event in Elephant and Castle.

She did not return until December 11. Kudi spent nearly three hours in the flat with her baby before dialling 999.

Asiah was pronounced dead on arrival at the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital in Brighton.

The CCTV showed Kudi had left Asiah alone for five days, 21 hours and 58 minutes.

When first interviewed by police, Kudi maintained that she had been with her child at the flat all the time, except for one visit she made to London.

But the court heard how the police investigation found from CCTV, phone and other evidence, that Kudi left the flat on her 18th birthday and didn’t return until December 11, leaving her child alone and uncared for throughout that time.

Kudi had gone first to London, and then with friends to another's birthday party in Coventry, before returning to Brighton via London.

Sentencing Kudi last month, Judge Christine Laing QC said: “Asiah was alone in that flat for six days – less two hours – unable to do anything to draw attention to her plight.

“She was a helpless child and relied completely on you as her mother to provide for her needs.

“It is almost unbearable to contemplate her suffering in the final days of her life, suffering that she endured so that you could celebrate your birthday and the birthdays of your friends as a carefree teenager.

“It goes without saying that this is a particularly tragic case and it no doubt raises strong emotions in all who hear of it, but everyone should bear in mind that the charge I sentence you for is one of manslaughter, it being accepted that you did not intend to cause Asiah death nor to cause her really serious harm.”

Peter Wilcock QC, defending Kudi, said it is “truly a tragic and devastating case”.

“She herself, the defendant, is both very young and we would submit very vulnerable,” he said.

The prosecution, authorised by the CPS, followed an investigation by detectives from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team.

The senior investigating officer detective chief inspector Andy Wolstenholme said: "This was a particularly distressing case for my team and me to investigate, and has caused great sorrow amongst Verphy's family and the many agencies that have supported Verphy and Asiah.”