TO EMPLOY a school child, you must have a licence – and here is how to apply for one.

Children need to be at least 13-years-old to work part-time, unless they work in television, film, theatre or modelling.

In these circumstances, the employers need to apply for a child employment licence if they want to employ a child of school age (between 13-16).

In Brighton and Hove, child employment licences are free of charge and applications must be made to council before the child starts work.

Anyone found employing a child without a licence is liable to a fine of up to £1,000 by Brighton and Hove City Council.

A young person is considered employed by the council when they assist with any business which is carried out for profit, whether paid or not.

Jobs that a 13-year-old can do include:

• delivering newspapers and leaflets

• working in a shop, including stacking shelves

• working in an office

• doing hairdressing

• working in a café or restaurant, but not in the kitchen

• working in hotels and other places offering accommodation

• washing cars

By law, children are not allowed to undertake certain types of work including:

• working in a cinema, theatre, or nightclub

• selling or delivering alcohol working in construction or with anything involving dangerous, and heavy machinery

• working in a commercial kitchen

• assisting at a fairground, amusement park or arcade

• working in bingo halls or any other place for licenced games

• working in residential care

A council spokesman said: “A part-time job can be a great way for a young person to experience what's involved in working in a particular sector and decide whether or not it’s for them.

“It’s also a chance to meet new people and boost confidence that can help in securing employment when they’ve left school.

“However, it’s really important that this is done properly. A child’s welfare and safety is of paramount importance and proper support must be in place when these opportunities are made available.

“Getting a child employment licence is a quick, easy and free process and it’s essential that employers have them in place if they are offering these roles.

"Our licensing team is here to ensure employers act responsibly and the rights of young people are protected.”

To apply for a child employment licence, go to the schools and learning section of the council website.

A form must be filled out and returned to or by post to Child Employment Officer, Access to Education Team, First Floor, Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove BN3 3BQ.

To find out more information about child employment and working hours for children, go to